Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
If you're having print quality issues Click here for more tips!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet 7612 Wide Format e-All-in-One

I hope someone out there can see what I must be missing...

My Officejet 7612 (which I maintain regularly) suddenly stopped printing Black.  The colors are fine.  I am fairly experienced with printer maintenance so in addition to the obvious steps bulletted- below, I have also tried the more complex fixes by accessing the hidden "Support" and "Engineering" Menus, including repeated Partial, Semi and Full Resets and recalibration with Set-Up Carts; unplug and "reset" dozens of times; full removal and careful flush of the printhead with warm distilled water and 1% Windex, followed by second flush and 3-day air-dry (gloves worn, printhead never touched); reinstalled cleaned printhead and Ran TAP 41/43 Report that PRINTED IN BLACK and noted "Pen OK", but then still refused to print black ink in any other situation;

Ran "Print Status Report" and printer spat out a blank page (NO text) except for 4-sets of BLACK square brackets "[   ]" with bar graphs showing levels of Cyan, Magenta and Yellow Ink:  [-----------]; [-----------] & [-----------]  (Both attached).

Finally, I have tried updating the firmware, deleting the drivers and reinstalling, sending jobs from various devices - MAKES NO DIFFERENCE, it will not print Black.

I have tried using brand new:

- Original HP 932/933 Cartridges;

- Refilled HP Cartridges

- New 932/933 Set-Up Carts (bought from a local vendor)

- 3rd Party 932/933 Compatible.

I have done multiple Cleanings and Alignments:

- using the "Setup Menu - Clean Printhead;

‘print head rec level 3’ from Service Menu

- I have even reinitialized the Cartridges .

Also, when I had the Printhead out for cleaning, I also removed the Printhead circuit board, cleaned all contacts and replaced all contact springs.  The “Pen OK” Report confirms its not a “contact” issue (doesn’t it?!).

No black... but vivid, lovely crisp color. 

I will gladly buy a new printhead IF that will solve this - but it seems like a weird software or hardware issue (that is totally beyond me).  I don't want to toss this in the garbage either.

ANY suggestions welcome!

Jakobi13

Printer Status Report .pngTap 41 43 BLACK.jpeg

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @Jacobi13,

Welcome to HP Support Community. 

Thank you for posting your query. I will be glad to help you.

I see that you are facing printing issues with your HP OfficeJet 7612 Wide Format E-All-In-One wherein it does not print in black.

If the printer is connected to windows computer, then please follow the steps listed below to uninstall and reinstall the drivers.

Unplug any USB cable, if any, before doing this.

1.) In Windows, search for and open Programs and features

2.) Select your HP Printer

3.) Select Uninstall

4.) In Windows, search for and open Devices and printers

5.) In the Devices and Printers windows look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose 'Delete' or 'Remove Device'

6.) Open up the run command with the "Windows key + R" key combo.

7.) Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between “printui.exe” and “/s”)

8.) Click on the "Drivers" tab.

9.) Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click Remove at the bottom

10.) Select Ok

11.) Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows.

12.) Close Devices and Printers

13.) Open up the run command with the "Windows key + R" key combo.

14.) Type c:/programdata and click Ok. Go to Hewlett Packard folder, remove any printer related folders & files.

15.) Restart the computer. 

Note:

If you are unable to remove the printer drivers, then please follow the steps listed below to stop print spooler:

- Turn off the printer, and then unplug the power cord.

- In Windows, search for and open Services.

- In the Services window, right-click Print Spooler, and then click Stop.

- Now remove the printer drivers and restart the computer.

Once done, please download and install the software from this weblink.

Otherwise you can use the HP Smart App:  https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c04675142

Let me know if this helps.
Take care and have a great day ahead.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Rainbow23 - HP Support.
HP Recommended

Rainbbow23,

I posted a lengthy reply that appears to have vaporized. In short, your suggestions suggest that you are either:

• an aging AI; or, 
  • a well-intentioned, but very busy HP Agent who overlooked large portions of my post.

At the end of my post, I noted:

"Finally, I have tried updating the firmware, deleting the drivers and reinstalling, sending jobs from various devices - MAKES NO DIFFERENCE, it will not print Black."  Also, I'm using a MacBook Pro running OS 12.6.

UPDATE

In total frustration, I purchased a new HP printhead.  Now, after running a "FULL RESET" from the printer's Bios/shell menu (unplug >hold power button> reattach power cord while continuing to press power button>printer screen flashes then shuts off>"Home-Back-Home-Home" - Enter Shell Menu> Full Reset) and installing 4 HP Install Cartridges...

It gets all the way to the end of the initialization process - including sucking the new carts almost DRY to fill the printhead tanks - to generate "Ink System Failure"  There is a problem with the Printer or Ink System...".  IT IS A BRAND-NEW PRINTHEAD.

Rainbow23, Mac-Specific suggestions welcome... just don't suggest drivers.

HP Recommended

Hi @Jacobi13,

As you have already replaced the printhead, this could be a hardware issue with the unit and may need repair/upgrade to latest model. 

I have sent you a private message with the required information to talk to HP Support. 

In order to access your private messages, click the Private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Community profile Next, to your profile Name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it or simply click on this link 

Rainbow23 - HP Support.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.