Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
If you're having print quality issues Click here for more tips!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Officejet Pro 6970
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I owned an Officejet Pro 6970 which had issues with the cyan ink cartridge, In the end after contacting support, the HP support was convinced of a hardware defect on the print head , but this model is no longer repaired, I was told, so I had to replace the printer (only 4 years old!) by a new one.
Anyhow I got a new HP 9012 which repleced the 6970 in my instant ink account.  Just the next day after setting up my new printer, I got a set of new cartridges for the 6970 by mail, which are useless to me now.
On the other hand, my son has an instant ink plan for the same model 6970. Would it be possible that he could use the brand new instant ink catridges in his printer instead? Or are the cartridges linked to the serial number of the printer? If so it it possible to transfer the cartridges somehow to another instant ink printer?
It would be a pitty to return all these unused cartridges to HP, creating shipping and handling costs for nothing (even if HP pays for it) 
Thanks for your help
JKC

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@JKC67, Welcome to HP Support Community!

I understand your concern and upon checking I see that the cartridges can be used on the other instant ink enrolled HP Officejet 6970 printer given that the cartridges are not previously used.

I hope that answers your concern adequately. Let me know!

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for the answer.

We will give it a try on his printer. I let you know. 

best regards

JKC67

HP Recommended

@JKC67

Sure, keep me posted.

Thanks!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.