Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
If you're having print quality issues Click here for more tips!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
officejet pro 8600

Will this printer work with other than HP ink?

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

@Najarian1, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

HP recommends the use of HP genuine and compatible ink cartridges for better print quality and functionality of the printer. Using other type of ink cartridges may or may not work. It is not tested by HP. You may use them at your own discretion.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Conformément à ce qu'a dit un agent de chez HP, à savoir "HP recommande l'utilisation de cartouches d'encre authentiques et compatibles HP", j'utilise effectivement des cartouches compatibles HP sur une HP OfficeJet 6500 wireless et même une HP DeskJet  (F300 series)...jusqu'à ce 12/10/2020...L'imprimante est bloquée en indiquant un message "tête d'impression incompatible...".   Comme je ne suis pas le seul à en juger les forums depuis le 13/09/2020, HP est informé et explique qu'il existe une option à décocher dans un onglet "Protection cartouches", option disponible "simplement" selon HP, en sélectionnant "Imprimantes & télécopieurs" puis click droit sur "Propriétés" puis "paramètres" et enfin "options installation"...

SAUF QUE CET ONGLET NEXISTE PAS.  Même avec la fenêtre du Centre de services qui indique le niveau d'encre, aucun onglet n'apparaît "protection cartouches".

Donc, si HP peut m'indiquer la vraie manip à effectuer ou bien où trouver le bon onglet au bon endroit, merci d'avance.

SINON, LES 2 IMPRIMANTES HP VONT DIRECTEMENT A LA POUBELLE, AVEC BLOCAGE A PERPETUITE DACHAT DE MATERIEL HP....

Cordialement

HP Recommended

@ZORRO13

We advise you to post your question in English to ensure a quick response for the Community. This can also help other users to take advantage of your post, in the case they have the same question. 

Or, if you prefer, you can visit the HP Support website, to find the support channel for your region. 

Keep us posted.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

In accordance with what an HP agent said, "HP recommends the use of authentic and HP-compatible ink  cartridges", I actually use HP-compatible cartridges on an HP OfficeJet 6500 wireless and even an HP DeskJet (F300 series)... until 12/10/2020...

The printer is blocked by stating a message "incompatible print head...".   As I'm not the only one to judge the forums since 13/09/2020, HP is informed and explains that there is an option to uncheck in a tab "Protection cartridges", option available "simply" according to HP, selecting "Printers and fax machines" then click right on "Properties" then "parameters" and finally "installation options" ...

BUT THIS TAB DOESN'T APPEARS.  Even with the Service Center window that shows the ink level, no tab appears "protection cartridges."

So if HP or Somebody else can tell me  how to perform or where to find the right tab at the right place, thank you in advance.

OTHERWISE, THE 2 HP PRINTERS GO DIRECTLY TO THE TRASH, WITH STOPPING PURCHASE OF HP HARDWARE FOR EVER (printers, computers,....) FOR ME AND MY FRIENDS.

Kind regards

HP Recommended

@ZORRO13

Are you getting the same error on both the printers?

This error is related to the printhead. If this error displays on the Officejet 6500 printer, the printhead is non-removable.Perform the steps mentioned in this document -  Error Indicates Faulty Printhead

To resolve an ink cartridge error, follow the steps from - HP Printer Does not Print and Error Indicates Faulty Ink Cartridge

Protected cartridges is something different and does not apply in this case as per the error you receive. Here, the ink cartridges are electronically locked to the original printer and cannot be used on any other similar model printer.

Keep me posted.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I need a HP 935XL ink cartridge so  I can use my HP printer. I cannot find them anywhere!

HP Recommended

@PC-Tim

Apologies for the inconvenience caused. HP 935XL ink cartridges are out of stock as of now. You may order HP 935 regular ink cartridges from HP Store online or you may have to wait for the ink cartridges to be available. I will also forward this concern to the respective team at HP.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I cannot find a HP 935XL ink cartridges for sale anywhere so I cannot use my HP printer. So I guess I need a competitive brand.

Please advise!

Thanks in advance!

HP Recommended

The one that is out of stock is the HP 935XL Cyan. It has been out of stock for quite awhile. What gives?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.