Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
If you're having print quality issues Click here for more tips!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet 8210
macOS 11.0 Big Sur

hello, everyone, I am newer, I use my MacBook Pro to print files, even if I print in black and white, why the printer only consumes color ink cartridges and not black ink cartridges? could someone help me, please? thanks so so so much!

14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

What kind of paper are you using?  Photo paper is not compatible with the black ink.  If photo paper is selected (or detected in the printer when "Auto" paper type is selected) the printer will use color ink even to print black text.  Please check the paper setting in your driver.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

yes, I selected the "Auto" paper type, but it seems that the printer will automatically recognize the printed file, even if I choose black and white printing, but if there is a color chart file, the printer will still choose color printing. what should I do? Please help me!

HP Recommended

Hi @HEAVEN77,

To better understand any possible cause, please clarify below information:

Click the Apple icon and select System Preferences, then click on Printers and Scanners.

Select your printer, and then please clarify the exact text listed in the right pane as the "Kind", to better understand what driver option is used, accordingly I will be able to guide you with any further step to try to resolve a such.

Also, what application are you printing from?

May you see any difference when printing from any other application as Textedit, Safari, etc.?

Please clarify the information above to get some better understanding of the problem.

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

Hi,

I understand you have an issue with not being able to print in black and white. Does the issue occur with all documents and document types ? Can you please provide screenshot in System Preferences>Printers & Scanners and let us know the kind. Can you also please provide a screenshot of your print dialog screen. 

Please also follow the steps in this document as it has necessary troubleshooting steps to isolate to printer or print driver issue. 

https://support.hp.com/au-en/product/hp-officejet-pro-8210-printer-series/7902063/document/c04982216

I work on behalf of HP
Regards,
StretchMusic

If the answer provided resolves your issue please press the thumbs up button in order to make the answer available to others.
HP Recommended

HEAVEN77_0-1634829831675.png

HEAVEN77_1-1634829906482.png

HP Recommended

Hi,

Please follow the steps in this article to isolate the issue to a printer or printer driver issue. 

https://support.hp.com/au-en/product/hp-officejet-pro-8210-printer-series/7902063/document/c04982216

Let us know the results.

I work on behalf of HP
Regards,
StretchMusic

If the answer provided resolves your issue please press the thumbs up button in order to make the answer available to others.
HP Recommended

Usually, I use the Preview and WPS to print my file, I tried the Sarafi, it was the same outcoming. I don't what to do to solve the problem next step.  thanks for your kind help! thanks so so much! looking forward your sincere reply!

HP Recommended

Both my printer and ink tank are new, and the ink is original HP ink. The current situation is that I choose print black and white, but when I encounter a file with a table or picture, the printer will print out in light color by itself, even if I choose black and white printing. I know this situation is because my color ink consumption is faster than black, so I checked my printer ink print report. It shows that the black-and-white printing that I just tested was printed in color. If I print a document with plain text, it will be printed in black and white, Unsuccessful black-and-white printing only occurs in documents with pictures or diagrams. I don't know if I explained my situation clearly.

I was considering whether there is a problem with the system settings of my MacBook Pro, but I checked the system preferences and did not find an answer. I am a little depressed now and hope to get your valuable reply.

HP Recommended

Please run through step 4 to clean the printhead and check the results of the printhead test page. 

I work on behalf of HP
Regards,
StretchMusic

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.