Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
If you're having print quality issues Click here for more tips!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Office Jet pro 6978
macOS 11.0 Big Sur

I have an office jet pro 6978 that suddenly will not print the color red at all. I have run any updates consistently and there are no available updates. I have also run through any troubleshooting, cleaning, new cartridges etc. Of course, warranty ran out this past month. Are there any solutions out there or do I need a new printer after 2 years. Very frustrating. I have been extremely happy with this purchase up until now. 

Thanks, 

Mike 

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Mike, I have the exact same situation with the same model printer, and as you, have run all the updates and diagnostics and burned through a lot of ink with cleaning and extended cleaning. Refer to a post on ~March 24 from another member [this issue is blue] "printer does not print one color". Unless I somehow missed solutions being offered [and I apologize if I did miss them], the Support community has no support to offer. And, as with you, my printer went out of warranty not too long ago.

HP Recommended

Yeah I have not a clue. I spent 1 hour yesterday on hold to no avail with HP yesterday. You have any luck?

HP Recommended

No luck at all. I decided to check once again for software/firmware updates, found several allegedly I needed. Between last night and this evening I spent over three unproductive hours trying to install the updates, but in the typical HP inefficient update process, I am still told [after laptop reboot] I need to install some. I updated HP Print/Scan Doctor twice today and was told I still needed an update. Ran the Print Doctor anyway, still have problems. I shall try again tomorrow to complete the process.

HP Recommended

So frustrating... I tried again calling but was on hold for 2 hours.. ridiculous

HP Recommended

Yep, pretty frustrating. I tried some more updates yesterday, new ink cartridges, no success. I am giving up, getting a new printer.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.