Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
If you're having print quality issues Click here for more tips!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet Pro 6978 All-in-One Printer
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Office Jet Pro 6978,    Win. 10 64bit 21H1,   HP EliteDesk 800 G1 64bit SFF  (PC)

I have always been so frustrated about the all-day printer maintenance.  It's been years of this on most of the HP printers I've had over the years with HP and so I post now. This did not occur in the early days.   

It's so clear that the purpose is to use up so much ink.  These cartridges are so expensive. 

The maintenance occurs on its own and randomly.  One doesn't have control with it, so it occurs when you least expect, and typically when trying to get print jobs done when you need them.   The process goes on and on and on.  And then it does it again a little while later, and so forth.  Even when not using the computer or printer.

How can one turn this off or stop it?   I can easily initiate a maintenance on my own time.  

I have bought HP products for decades. 

Would this be too much to ask?

I read the one and only inquiry about this with same officejet pro 6978.  The reply instructs to plug into a wall socket and not a multi surge device.  That is the one thing I cannot do.  The power cord is so short and the printer cannot be placed near the one wall outlet that is fully used already.

Can HP command center be disconnected from my printer?  It is creepy.

Thank you, and very frustrated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @HC_PC,

Welcome to the HP Support Community

I'd like to help!

I understand the printer maintaince occurs everytime you print

To assist better -

1. Does the printer print a quality page after the maintenance?
  2. Does the maintenance happen every print or only when you haven't printed it in a couple of days?

The maintenance occurs to avoid clogs in the printhead as the printer is not being used for a while.

This task cannot be disabled.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Yes" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi @HC_PC,

Welcome to the HP Support Community

I'd like to help!

I understand the printer maintaince occurs everytime you print

To assist better -

1. Does the printer print a quality page after the maintenance?
  2. Does the maintenance happen every print or only when you haven't printed it in a couple of days?

The maintenance occurs to avoid clogs in the printhead as the printer is not being used for a while.

This task cannot be disabled.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Yes" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping

HP Recommended

Hello Jay,  I was away and just reading your message.  Thank you.   Maybe you sent me a "private" message.  Not sure but there isn't one waiting there.

The printer does not have any rhyme or reason to it.  It doesn't wait a "couple of days" or when printerhead is "clogged".

It can occur after every 2-3 print jobs.  through out the day.  Or even during night when no one using it. (we're sleeping)

So even if it occurs at times you say above, you're saying there isn't any way of turning it off. 

very annoying.

If there are any other ideas out there, please share.

Thank you again,

Massachusetts

Massachusetts
HP Recommended

We could try a reset on the printer to resolve the issue.

We can perform a factory default on the printer to resolve the issue

• The reset instructions are specific for your printer and performing those steps on a different printer may corrupt the device.
  • I've sent you a private message with reset instructions, follow the reset instruction to perform a full reset and re-initialize the printer.
  • In order to access your private messages, click the private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Support Community profile, next to your profile Name or simply click on this link: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/notes/privatenotespage

Let me know how this goes!

HP Recommended

I finally found the instructions and have made the Reset.  Will wait through a day and see if the machine still has its own mind. 

Thanks very much for sending them.

to follow....

Massachusetts
HP Recommended

You're welcome 🙂

Keep me posted with the results 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel I my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Yes" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

HP Recommended

Good report.  It's one day since the reset of printer.  It has been quiet all day.

I wish I had known this a few years ago.

Thank you so much.  And it was relatively easy.

(For others- use the link in a previous post/message from Jay)

Where is the Accept Solution click? Don't see it.  : )

Keep cool everyone.

Massachusetts

Massachusetts
HP Recommended

One more - I realize my UserName is an old printer I had.  My current inquiry was for  Office Jet Pro 6978.

Not sure which printer you instructed about. 
Question:  Does the instruction for Reset apply to most OfficeJet printers? 

Massachusetts
HP Recommended

@OfficejetJ6480,

Thank you for your response and to answer your question the resets are mostly similar on the Officejet printers depending on the touchscreen model.

HopeI hope that answers your concern adequately. Let me know!

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

ANAND_ANDY
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.