cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Common problems for INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about Instant Ink. Check out this link: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER. .
psalm686
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 1
Flag Post

"Cartridge problem - Remove and reinstall..."

HP Recommended
Dell i5-8265U
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Re: HP Officejet Pro 6978

I have had nothing but problems with this printer 😞  The blue ink worked for a week, and has not worked since (almost a year now).  I have repurchased entire sets of ink 4 or 5 times, and worked my way through every suggested fix.

Currently, I have all new cartridges installed (as of 60 minutes ago).  The blue is HP, the rest are Office Depot brand (these cartridges have all been out of stock for months - I take what I can get).  They are all 902 cartridges.

I am now getting the "Cartridge problem - Remove and reinstall..." error message for the first time.  I cannot even print a test page.

I have tried:
--cleaning the printhead (more times than I can count)
--resetting the printer's memory (thrice today only)
--cleaning the metal contacts (today)
--hard reset per this thread:  https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printing-Errors-or-Lights-Stuck-Print-Jobs/Remove-and-Reinstall-Ink-Ca... (today)

--and in previous months I have chatted with virtual assistants (just once, because what a pita that was... entering all the data from each individual cartridge?! - ugh), tried the HP Smart App for help numerous times, and bounced around HP support like it was a full-time job.

I turned printer updates off earlier today.  I had already disabled cartridge protection, and I'm clearly at my wit's end.  The printer cost a little over $200 new... I feel like I threw that money away 😞  I have literally never had so many problems with a simple printer... and I've been through DOZENS of printers in my 40+ years as an administrator.

Thoughts?  Other than running it over with my car and shelling out another $200+?

Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation