Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
If you're having print quality issues Click here for more tips!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Officejet 5255
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

The printer started printing blank pages. I figured the cartridge(s) had run out. I had 2 brand new, unopened cartridges that exactly match the empty one(s), so I  installed them. When I tried to print, I got the error on the tiny touchsreen on the front of the printer,  "the indicated cartridges are not intended." That puzzled me because the new cartridges are excactly the same brand(HP) and type (black 63XL, color Tri-color 63).

I took out the cartridges and instaledl them again; turn the printer OFF then ON; pull the power cable and put it back; try print with a single cartridge.  Nothing helped. I think the error occured once before after I stopped using the HP ink replacement plan. But this is different because both the old cartridges and the new ones were and are brand new.

I see a ton of problems here for the same error message. I tried a couple of them but none worked. I hope someone here has a solution.

TIA for any suggestions.
FredFrog.

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

Hi @fredfrog2019 ,

if you have been using HP63 before, the model of 63XL and 63 should be fitted to the printer. if you still experience the "incompatible error" please contact HP for replacement as your HP original ink cartridge still covered under warranty at www.hp.com/support.

Although I am HP Employee andI am speaking for myself
>> "Marking" this as RESOLVE, If my post help RESOLVE your issue and help others
>> Click THUMB UP icon if you appreciate the "REPLY"
HP Recommended

@Archilles23

I purchased these after I stopped the HP replacement plan. Neither the old (now empty) cartridges and the new ones that are giving me the error  were purchased from HP. 

HP Recommended

I purchased a new cartridge and it installs OK and I printed a test page and aligned. Now nothing will print.

HP Recommended

@fredfrog2019 

since you can install without any error and had the alignment page printed. i believe you experienced difference issue. eg: not able to print out issue.

For testing: you can print out a "Print Quality Report" from the printer to confirm, to do that follow Step 8: in support document https://support.hp.com/sg-en/document/c05584456 

• if the print out is good without any missing color or lines, suspect the problem is client (PC/Laptop) to printer communication.
  • if the print out is with missing color/lines; the cartridge should be defective and suggest you get it returned/contact HP for replacement.

For PC-Printer communication; please follow

1. Ensure printer is connected to the same network as the clients(PC/Laptop)
  2. Reinstall the driver by following Step 1 in document https://support.hp.com/sg-en/document/c05584456

Sorry, not exactly can know if it will resolve all your issue. those are the possible way that i can image. Thanks.

>> "Marking" this as RESOLVE, If my post help RESOLVE your issue and help others
HP Recommended

The Print Quality Diagnostics page looks good. But

Reinstall the driver by following Step 1 in document https://support.hp.com/sg-en/document/c05584456

When I tried to download the driver I got "HP OJ5200_2025A failed with Insufficient permissions. I'm the administrator on my system.

printer hp support unable to...need authorization  archillis23.jpg

HP Recommended

Hi @fredfrog2019,

Apology for not too clear, the one you have is Firmware to the printer. I do not think there is FW issue with the printer.

what you should do is uninstall your client (HP SMART) and reinstall the HP SMART and connect the printer again. you can obtain driver either

1. HP SMART from https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/hp-smart/9wzdncrfhwlh?rtc=1&activetab=pivot:overviewtab 
  2. Standard HP driver via www.123.hp.com

Follow installation procedure accordingly. Or simply grab from the google Apps "Play Store" from phone/mobile.

HP Recommended

This gets "Network Installation - Device Not Found". I printed the HP Network Configuration Page. It shows Network Status Ready, Connection type Wireless. Under 802.11 Wireless it shows Status Connected and IP Address 192.168.11.1, which I used when it was asked for.

HP Recommended
  • Not sure if you connect the printer to the same network? (eg: 5G vs 2.4G network). It seems you are not able to print due to the printer-network-client connection problem. There is one comprehensive support steps that you can follow https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05032099

*note:

(1) if you have disabled any printer with Officejet 5255 before, you may need to remove that printer off your PC / enable the printer back into network. (referencing other connect problem threads HERE)

(2) if you have any USB connected to the printer, USB need to be removed off the printer that allow the Wireless connectivity to be functioning properly.

HP Recommended

SCAN DOCTOR ERROR MESSAGE

scan doctor failed to communicate(annotated).jpgI performed these steps from "comprehensive support steps that you can follow" https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05032099

Step 1: Restart the computer, printer, and router
Step 2: Uninstall the HP driver and software
Step 3: Repair system files
Step 5: Run HP Print and Scan Doctor

Scan Doctor reported "Failed to communicate with your selected product..."

SCAN DOCTOR ERROR MESSAGE

SCAN FOR SYSTEM ERRORS

SFCSFC

SCAN DOCTOR CHOOSE PRODUCTSCAN DOCTOR CHOOSE PRODUCT

I don't know whether this might have contributed to the problem with Scan Doctor. I think it was overriden when I did the Add Printer from the control panel.

ADD PRINTER PWGADD PRINTER PWGADD PRINTER PWG

Where do I go from here?

Thanks. FredFrog.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.