Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
HP Officejet Pro 8610
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

The idler pulley at right end of carriage belt has failed.  I need to replace it. 

I can find the tension bracket, but no photos, so I cannot tell if a new pulley comes with it.

Another possibility is a new belt, but again, I cannot tell if a new pulley comes with it.

Where can I find a pulley?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@FrugalGuy 

That looks nearly identical to the pulley used on the Designjet T730/830. Cannot buy the pulley by itself, you have to buy a belt assembly, CQ890-67112

If you cannot find any other source it might be worth trying. List price on HP part store is 21.75. 

If i have a kit at work I will post a detailed photo tomorrow so you can see how big it is and compare.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Can you post a picture of the broken part you have. It is possible that another part might be the same.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

IMG_7444.JPG

The pulley to the far right. I was able to lock the bracket down once before to fix a slipping issue, but this time the pulley failed. I have again locked it down, but the pulley's axle is at a 30 degree angle rather than vertical.  I was able to print some more pages, but now again it's slipping. I cannot tell how to remove the bracket (a tab goes into the metal plate below, and no jiggling I can do will free it. This means I cannot remove the pulley and fully examine it.

HP Recommended

Maybe medium will show up properly.Maybe medium will show up properly.

HP Recommended

@FrugalGuy 

That looks nearly identical to the pulley used on the Designjet T730/830. Cannot buy the pulley by itself, you have to buy a belt assembly, CQ890-67112

If you cannot find any other source it might be worth trying. List price on HP part store is 21.75. 

If i have a kit at work I will post a detailed photo tomorrow so you can see how big it is and compare.

HP Recommended

I don't have a new one but here is a picture from the last defective one I replaced. 

t730 idler pulley.jpg

HP Recommended

That looks pretty close. Any way you could measure the pulley diameter and height?  If it's close enough, I'll certainly buy the part and give it a try.   THANKS SO MUCH!!

HP Recommended

More critically, how do you remove the bracket??!

IMG_7449.jpg

HP Recommended

I couldn't remove the black bracket, but the pulley and its axle pin came out. Naturally, the pin fell into the depths of the machine and I had to invert it to get the pin back out. 🙂

I set the machine on end and finally managed to get the pulley and its axle pin back into position. I was able to use a pair of needle nosed pliers to press the pin into position in the upper fork of the bracket. It seems to be secure, for now. It was a very tight press fit.

I tensioned the belt as much as I could (it now hums when plucked) and locked down the bracket. We'll see if this holds it.

HP Recommended

On the plotters you have to remove the side plate as the knob on the bottom of the black brack slides into a slot on the chassis. Likely it is the same for the printers. These devices shared engineers during development so there is some shared technology.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.