Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
OfficeJet Pro 8620ample:
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I'm getting a Paper Jam message as follows  "The original is jammed in the automatic document feeder.  Open the cover, remove and reload the original, and then try again"  The problem is the is no paper jammed in the ADF.  How can I clear this signal and get my copier running again.  btw  the unit will print documents from my computer.

Thanks for any help you can give.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@garygirdler

Welcome to the HP support community.

Remove any loose or jammed paper that is accessible from the ADF area.

1. Turn off the printer.

2. Lift the ADF cover.

Image: Lift the ADF cover

3. Lift the tab located on the left edge of the ADF to raise the ADF mechanism.

Image: Lift the ADF mechanism.

4. Push in the green tab located in the center of the ADF.

Image: Push in the green tab

5. Gently pull out any jammed paper from the ADF. To avoid tearing any whole sheets of paper, pull out the paper with both hands.

CAUTION: 

If the paper tears while you remove it, check the rollers and wheels for any torn pieces of paper that might remain inside the ADF. Use a flashlight to thoroughly check the rollers for torn pieces of paper. If any torn pieces of paper remain inside the printer, more paper jams are likely to occur.

6. Pull up on the green tab to set it back in place.

7. Close the ADF cover tightly at both ends.

Image: Close the ADF cover tightly at both ends

You can refer this HP document for more assistance:- Click here

I hope that helps.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Your reply would have been relevant had there actually been any jammed paper in my old printer.  Unfortunately there wasn't and that particular printer has been discontinued so no repair parts are available.  A new printer was the answer.

HP Recommended

@garygirdler

Update the printer firmware

Here are the steps:- Click here

Let me know how it goes.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.