Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
HP Envy Photo 7855 All-in-One Printer
Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan

The ADF stopped working!  I no longer hear the chime when loading documents in the ADF for scanning, copying, etc., as well.  It seemed to have started with some documents loading, but then it would stop part way through feeding a stack to scan.  Also, I noticed there is a CR2032 battery on a circuit board inside the machine to the left and behind the location for installing memory devices.  I'm wondering if the battery needs to be replaced and if it might have some contribution to the ADF not working.  Lastly, it is interesting that the ADF issue started to occur almost to the day the Warranty expired!  I would appreciate any and all assistance toward reconciling the ADF issue before I breakdown and purchase a new machine.  Thanks!

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi @HooahMN,

I'd like to help!

Try updating mac and printer firmware

To update the printer's firmware, refer - HP Printers - Updating or Upgrading Printer Firmware 

To update Mac, try these steps - How to update the software on your Mac

Try the suggestions-

Clean the ADF rollers and the separator pad

Dust inside the automatic document feeder (ADF) can result in paper feed issues.

1. Get a lint-free cloth and distilled water.

2. Remove the original document from the ADF.

3. Turn off the printer.

4. Disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.

5. Open the ADF cover.

Lifting the ADF cover
  6. Find the paper pick rollers and the separator pad inside the ADF.

ADF paper pick rollers and separator pad

Callout

Description

Paper pick roller

Separator pad

7. Lightly dampen a clean, lint-free cloth with filtered or distilled water, and then squeeze any excess liquid from the cloth.

8. Use the damp cloth to clean the paper pick rollers and the separator pad.

9. Leave the ADF cover open for two minutes to allow the rollers and pad to dry.

10. Close the ADF cover.

11. Reconnect the power cord to the printer, and then turn on the printer.

12. Slide in the paper width guides until they rest against the sides of the paper.

13. Try to scan or copy with the ADF.

Reset the printer

Reset the printer to recover from printer errors or failures.

1. With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the printer.

2. Unplug the power cord from the power source.

3. Wait 60 seconds.

4. Reconnect the power cord to a wall outlet and to the printer.

NOTE: 

HP recommends plugging the printer directly into a wall outlet.

5. Turn on the printer to complete the reset.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

And, Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.