Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
HP Envy Photo 6230 All In One
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a HP Envy Photo 6230 All in One printer/scanner. It has a main paper tray and a photo tray that only takes paper up to 7" x 5". I want to print a photo 8" x 6" so I've been trying to print it from the main paper tray but no matter what I do it ALWAYS tries to print from the photo tray even when I select the main tray in the printer properties.

I've tried selecting the main tray, tried selecting plain paper instead of photo paper, tried printing it from a Word document but nothing works.

Does anyone have any ideas if its possible?

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@Doug1966

Welcome to the HP Support Community.

The Printer name seems to be incorrect. Please help us with the right Printer name.

Thanks 🙂

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi sorry, yes, the model is HP Envy Photo 6230.

I have corrected the original post to avoid future confusion.

Regards,

Doug.

HP Recommended

Try the steps from here: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c03422222

Let me know if this helps.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

HI Betty0610,

I have tried the instructions you provided and the issue seems to be a paper pickup problem.

I have loaded the main tray with photo paper and it doesn't pick up any sheets at all. I can hear the rollers trying 3 times but it doesn't pick up the paper but gives an error on the display that it thinks it is out of paper. With this error displayed if I remove the photo paper and replace with plain paper it picks it up and prints.

I have tried loading the paper tray with just 1 sheet, 10 sheets and a full tray of photo paper but it just doesn't move at all.

Is there anything that needs to be adjusted for the thicker photo paper in the main tray?

Best regards,

Doug.

HP Recommended

How thick is the paper? Go to the paper handling section of your Printer specifications and do check for compatibility: https://support.hp.com/gb-en/document/c05649462#AbT6

Let me know if this helps.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Accept as solution" button, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

The photo paper I am using is 255g/m2 - will that extra 5g/m2 really make a difference in that it won't pick it up???

Doug.

HP Recommended

Yes it would 🙂 That's why we've specifications.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Ok, I will have to try some lower weight photo paper. I will let you know as soon as I've tested paper within the specs to confirm that is definitely the problem.

Thanks for the help.

HP Recommended

Sure, do keep us posted 🙂

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.