Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
Officejet Pro 7740
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

I have an HP7740 Officejet Pro that won't properly feed 11"x17" HP glossy 48 lb brochure paper.  It ejects a blank sheet, then prints some fraction of the document on the next sheet.  So I now have 2 packs of expensive paper and no way to print my project.  I did try to clean what I think is the pick-up roller with isopropyl alcohol, but no luck.   Any suggestions?  

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@JCS69

Welcome to the HP support community.

I understand that your printer is not picking up paper, I am glad to assist you.

Perform a power reset, reset the printer to recover from printer errors or failures.

1. Turn on the printer, if it is not already on.
  2. Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you continue.
  3. With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.
  4. Wait at least 30 seconds.
  5. Plug back the power cable straight to a wall outlet and printer without any surge protector.
  6. Turn on the printer.

Update the printer firmware to install the latest updates

Here are the steps:- click here

Here is the HP document for your reference:- Click here

Keep me posted.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@SandyTechy20,

I tried the power reset: no joy.

Looked for Firmware Updates using the HP Smart app on my HP laptop running Windows 10.  Under Tools/Printer Updates/Firmware Updates I clicked on 'Check Now' and got a message: 'The Printer could not connect to Web Services'.

The only other thing I can tell you is the current info:

Firmware Version: EDWINXPP1N002.1912A.00

Build Date:  2019-03-20

Can you tell me if this is the current Firmware that I should running?

I did try looking through the menus on the printer itself, but couldn't find anything.

Thanks for trying!

Cheers, Jim

HP Recommended

@JCS69

The latest version of the printer firmware is 2113B.

Click here to download it.

Follow the steps mentioned in this HP document to connect the printer back to web services:- Click here

Keep me posted.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@SandyTechy20,

I have tried to follow the instructions, but this is simply beyond me.  I have tried to do the web services thing from my MacBook, as my wife has commandeered my HP laptop for her business purposes at the moment.  I got as far as looking up the proxy server address on my MacBook, but when I get to the proxy server page, the web proxy shows blank boxes.  Maybe when my brother visits for Christmas, he can help me. He is retired as IT manager for Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory; As a retired analytical chemist, this stuff is not in my wheelhouse; now if you want to talk about conformational changes in polymers during volume, I'm your guy!  JCS69_0-1638475837477.png

Thanks for your help!
Cheers, Jim
HP Recommended

@JCS69

This might require one on one interaction to fix the issue.

I request you to talk to HP support.

They might have multiple options to help you with this.

1. Click on this link - https://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp?openCLC=true
  2. Select the country.
  3. Enter the serial of your device.
  4. Select the country from the drop-down.
  5. Click on "Show Options".
  6. Fill the web-form. A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

Keep me posted.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@SandyTechy20,

I have made some progress!  I recovered my HP laptop from my wife and tried the HP Smart app again.  After a bit of time, I figured out that if I had the browser already up, that the app could connect to the web & allowed my to download & install the new firmware.  I won't have time until next week to try printing with the glossy 11x17 paper, but it feels good to have something work out!

Again, thanks for not just giving up on my problem!

Cheers, Jim

HP Recommended

@JCS69

Good to know that issue is resolved.

Feel free to contact us in the future if you need any assistance.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@SanyTechy20,

Sorry to take so long, but things got busy.  And I needed time to fiddle with the printer & paper.

I was glad to get the firmware updated, HOWEVER:

Bottom line (at least for now) the HP ledger size glossy professional business paper doesn’t seem to be compatible with my OfficeJet Pro 7740.  By cleaning the feed rollers I can get it to run some sheets that are good, but then it begins to have problems feeding.  Only tray #1 seems to have a setting for glossy paper, but it doesn’t seem to work any better than tray #2, which doesn’t seem to have a glossy paper setting.  

My wife really wanted to have the family calendars printed on glossy paper, and I managed to get 8 of them out of the 7740.  But it’s too much aggravation and waste.  Next year, the large calendars will be on Xerox Bold Digital 28# ledger paper.  The smooth, ColorLok finish w/ 100 brightness provides acceptable photo reproduction for our purposes—not as good as glossy, but oh well…

Cheers, Jim

HP Recommended

@JCS69

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Community's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.