Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
HP Z800
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

HP Color Laser Jet Pro MFP M477fdw stopped feeding full-sized pages from tray 1.  It will however feed an envelope.  The HP Print and Scan program finds no errors except low ink.  Low ink is no real issue as I fill my own cartridges with HP ink without chipsets and set supplies to continue printing. I have moved all paper guides back and forth and opened and shut the back duplexer several times with no effect.  It prints everything from tray 2.  Visual inspection is unrevealing of a problem.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Please clarify exactly what happens when you try to print a letter sized sheet. Does the printer jam, stop part way through, or not even try to feed? Try removing paper from tray 2, put letter paper in tray 1 and make sure that you have the paper size and type settings on the printer for tray 1 set properly and then try to make a copy. If it works, likely you have a setting issue. 

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Please clarify exactly what happens when you try to print a letter sized sheet. Does the printer jam, stop part way through, or not even try to feed? Try removing paper from tray 2, put letter paper in tray 1 and make sure that you have the paper size and type settings on the printer for tray 1 set properly and then try to make a copy. If it works, likely you have a setting issue. 

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

To: Repairatrooper

Yes, your suggestion was perfect.  The exact problem was that tray 1 won't feed except for an envelope.  Your solution to check the settings revealed that "any size" was in tray 1 "paper" settings.  Changing it to "letter" size worked to permit tray 1 contents to have priority over tray 2.  THANK YOU.

John Watters

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply back confirming that the fix worked, it helps other users who may have the same problem.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.