Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

After installing new ink cartridges in my HP Envy 5540, the paper jammed while trying to print the calibration sheet. I managed to clear the jam, but now it's giving me a carriage jam error, and the ink cartridges stop after moving halfway down the pole. I unplugged it, and plugged it back in, and tried cleaning the various rollers, and the problem persists. I checked inside every accessible part of the printer and can't find any stray bits of paper or anything that would cause the problem. It's an old printer, so the warranty is obviously gone. Is there anything else I can try?

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@RCarpenter2, Welcome to the HP Support Community! I’m here to help.

I see that the print carriage is stuck. I appreciate your efforts in trying to resolve this issue by performing the necessary troubleshooting steps.

Make sure you have tried the steps mentioned in this document - Carriage jam or E3 error

Also, check for any jams inside - Paper Jam Error

If the error persists, I'm afraid this is a hardware failure. If the printer is out of warranty, I suggest you upgrade the printer. You may visit Hp Store to check the available printers.

You may use this link to find the phone number of the regional HP Support team: HP Phone Assist Worldwide

Keep me posted for any other assistance.

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click on the YES button to reply that the response was helpful and/or to say “Thank You”.

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.