Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
M507
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a M507 with three 550 sheet trays including the built-in (trays 2, 3, 4).

Issue described below does not occur when printing from manual feed tray nor trays 3 and 4.

When printing from tray 2, the top alignment of the print (start of print) varies from page to page.  It can vary up to 3/16". It does this with all print jobs even the onboard tests. For example, if I perform a paper path test of five pages, the start of print is different on each page. It varies from correct to too high on the page. I don't recall ever seeing the start of print being too low on the page. It hasn't jammed nor thrown any errors.

I have replaced tray 2, replaced the pick and separation roller assemblies, replaced both pick solenoids on the right side of the printer, made sure the paper path is free from debris and adhesive, made sure paper settings and tray guides are properly set.

Maybe I'm wrong but I don't think it's the registration assembly since this issue does not ever affect print jobs from the manual feed tray nor trays 3 and 4.

What could be causing this... Paper feed motor, formatter, DC controller??? What's my next step other than throwing parts at it?

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Change the setting for paper type in tray2 to heavy or glossy and use plain paper for testing purposes that will decrease print speed and test what happens when the printer prints slower.

The registration assembly is common for all trays so that is eliminated as a possible cause, it could be the motor spinning too fast and the start of the print is up on the sheet, trays 3-5 use different motor.

My profile on LinkedIn

HP Recommended

Thank you! Changing the paper type made it worse. What next?

HP Recommended

If you have not already tried a factory reset and firmware update that is where I would go next. I see no common issue like this when referencing my tech documents for this series.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

Thanks. I tried that too. Didn't make any difference.

HP Recommended

Are there any entries in the error logs at all? I would lean towards the pickup assembly if everything else has not resolved the issue.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

Nothing in the logs.

I took the paper feed drive assembly apart when I replaced the solenoid. I didn't see anything wrong with it or the solenoid that I replaced. The sound dampening pads on both pick solenoids looked like new and were not sticking.

I don't see a part listing in the repair manual for what I would call a paper input or paper pickup assembly.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.