Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet Pro 9020
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I posted this in "Feed issues" but I do not think it is caused by hardware.

I used to print on HP Premium Plus glossy photo paper and an HP Officejet Pro 8600 but things changed. First my printer fails to print in color so I bought a new HP Officejet Pro 9025. Then I could no longer find HP Premium Plus glossy photo paper so I bought HP Premium Plus photo paper, glossy. I know it sounds like the same paper but it is not.

The paper that worked was made in Switzerland (UPC 088698839911) and was 280 g/m² thick, the new stuff is made in Germany (UPC 886111138852) and is 300 g/m² thick.

The older paper says it is made to work with HP everything (papers, inks, and printers). The new paper says it is made to work with ALL INKJET PRINTERS.

The first nuisance is that I used to print important information on the back (watermark side) of the older paper. If I print on the watermark side of the new paper the ink NEVER dries. I've waited days and it still smears. Anyway, that's an issue that only affects me and my purpose.

The new problem is that the image I am printing on the glossy side is missing the leading edge of the paper. After wasting numerous sheets of this very expensive paper I noticed two important things that made the printing better but still misses the first quarter inch of the image. It used to miss about three quarters of an inch. To be clear, the first portion of the image is missing and the rest of the image starts printing right on the edge of the paper as if the image started printing before the paper got to the print-head.

The two things that I now do is :

1. In the printer preferences I set the "Paper Type" to "HP Photo Papers"

2. Then I use Paper Tray 2 (because it has a front edge that is curved up so I think it helps get the paper bending to enter the paper path smoothly).

Like I said, it is better now but it still misses the first quarter inch which accounts for a border and the first little bit of the actual image. I never needed to do anything with my old HP 8600, just print. 

I have cleaned the printers feed path but it is fairly new and it handles other jobs flawlessly.

I wish HP never stopped stocking the older photo paper.

Any thoughts on how I can get this thing to print the whole image where it belongs on the page?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@HPretiree2009 

==============================================================

Welcome to the HP Community.

Reminder to those reading:

Do NOT respond to individuals who post phone numbers or email addresses.

These might be scammers trying to steal your information / money.

HP does not post phone numbers or email in Community messages.

The results are due to hardware - it is a weight limitation and not an error condition.

The printer supports HP photo paper to 280 gsm.

Confirmation:  Photo paper and other "not plain paper" should be loaded into Tray 2.

Product Specifications for the HP OfficeJet Pro 9025 All-in-One Printer (1MR66A)

and...

Media TypesTray 1: Plain Paper. Tray 2: Plain Paper, HP Photo Papers, HP Matte Brochure or Professional Paper, HP Matte Presentation Paper, HP Glossy Brochure or Professional Paper, Other Photo Inkjet Papers, Other Matte Inkjet Papers, Other Glossy Inkjet Papers, Thick Plain Paper, Light/Recycled Plain Paper, HP Tri-fold Brochure Paper, Glossy
Media Weights Supported, By Paper Path (Imperial)16 to 28 lb (plain paper); 60 to 75 lb (photo); 20 to 24 lb (envelope); 90 to 110 lb (card)
Media Weights Supported, By Paper Path (metric)60 to 105 g/m² (plain); 220 to 280 g/m² (photo); 75 to 90 g/m² (envelope); 163 to 200 g/m² (card)

HP Advanced glossy photo paper is 250 gsm and appears to be available (at least in the US market).

True, printing on the backside of photo paper is not supported.
I don't know of a workaround - just not something with which I have any experience.

If you can use it for your purpose, consider HP Glossy Brochure / Professional paper.

It is lighter weight than photo paper - it does accept printing on both sides.

Yes, you might have to cut the paper to size either before or after printing - I use a decent paper cutter for this purpose.

Example

https://store.hp.com/us/en/SearchDisplay?client=&charset=utf-8&searchTerm=inkjet+brochure+paper&stor...

Printer  Home Page - References and Resources – Learn about your Printer  - Solve Problems

“Things that are your printer”

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

Categories:  Alerts, Access to the Print and Scan Doctor (Windows), Warranty Check, HP Drivers / Software / Firmware Updates, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, Lots of How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, Manuals > User Guides, Product Information (Specifications), more

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

HP OfficeJet Pro 9025 All-in-One Printer 

Thank you for participating in the HP Community.

The Community is a separate wing of the HP website - We are not a business group of HP..

Our Community is comprised of volunteers - people who own and use HP devices.

Click Thumbs Up to say Thank You.

Question Resolved / Answered, Click "Accept as Solution"

Dragon-Fur

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@HPretiree2009 

Welcome to the HP Community.

Reminder to those reading:

Do NOT respond to individuals who post phone numbers or email addresses.

These might be scammers trying to steal your information / money.

HP does not post phone numbers or email in Community messages.

The results are due to hardware - it is a weight limitation and not an error condition.

The printer supports HP photo paper to 280 gsm.

Confirmation:  Photo paper and other "not plain paper" should be loaded into Tray 2.

Product Specifications for the HP OfficeJet Pro 9025 All-in-One Printer (1MR66A)

and...

Media TypesTray 1: Plain Paper. Tray 2: Plain Paper, HP Photo Papers, HP Matte Brochure or Professional Paper, HP Matte Presentation Paper, HP Glossy Brochure or Professional Paper, Other Photo Inkjet Papers, Other Matte Inkjet Papers, Other Glossy Inkjet Papers, Thick Plain Paper, Light/Recycled Plain Paper, HP Tri-fold Brochure Paper, Glossy
Media Weights Supported, By Paper Path (Imperial)16 to 28 lb (plain paper); 60 to 75 lb (photo); 20 to 24 lb (envelope); 90 to 110 lb (card)
Media Weights Supported, By Paper Path (metric)60 to 105 g/m² (plain); 220 to 280 g/m² (photo); 75 to 90 g/m² (envelope); 163 to 200 g/m² (card)

HP Advanced glossy photo paper is 250 gsm and appears to be available (at least in the US market).

True, printing on the backside of photo paper is not supported.
I don't know of a workaround - just not something with which I have any experience.

If you can use it for your purpose, consider HP Glossy Brochure / Professional paper.

It is lighter weight than photo paper - it does accept printing on both sides.

Yes, you might have to cut the paper to size either before or after printing - I use a decent paper cutter for this purpose.

Example

https://store.hp.com/us/en/SearchDisplay?client=&charset=utf-8&searchTerm=inkjet+brochure+paper&stor...

Printer  Home Page - References and Resources – Learn about your Printer  - Solve Problems

“Things that are your printer”

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

Categories:  Alerts, Access to the Print and Scan Doctor (Windows), Warranty Check, HP Drivers / Software / Firmware Updates, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, Lots of How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, Manuals > User Guides, Product Information (Specifications), more

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

HP OfficeJet Pro 9025 All-in-One Printer 

The Community is a separate wing of the HP website - We are not a business group of HP..

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Wow, I didn't know that there were thickness restrictions.

That explains everything except why HP would actually sell HP photo paper and have "WORKS WITH ALL INKJET PRINTERS" right on the box.

Seems very misleading. I can't tell you how much ink and time I've wasted not to mention the cost of the paper.

I can't blame you though, excellent solve. Dragon-Fur.

I just found some 280 g/m², made in Switzerland (UPC 088698839911) paper on ebay and bought it.

Anyone want to buy some open box 300 g/m² made in Germany (UPC 886111138852)?

I guess I was lucky all this time. While my HP Officejet 8600 Pro was still able to print in color, I printed the 280 g/m² (75 lb) photo paper for years with no problem, I just looked up the specs and that printer has a thickness limit of 250 g/m² (66 lb).

HP Recommended

@HPretiree2009 

You are welcome.

Yes, even the "Advanced" paper I looked up says "All inkjet printers".

I've learned over time to check the details on just about everything.

It doesn't always save my backside, but it helps to be cautious, I guess.

The paper is compatible with all Inkjet printers as long as the particular printer hardware can accept the paper weight.

Not so subtle detail, that.

The statement can at least be used to separate the paper from not-compatible paper for Laser printers.

How on Earth do you find out what is supported on a particular printer?

The Specifications sometimes include the information.  The new specs format is kind of hit-and-miss in my opinion...

You can also search for the printer model name (or, better, the product number) + the word "Datasheet".

Example

Datasheet - HP OfficeJet Pro 9025 All-in-OnePrinter 

Which printer(s) support the heavier paper?

The HP ENVY Photo 7855 All-in-One Printer  is an example of a printer that supports 300 gsm photo paper.

Media Weights Supported, By Paper Path (metric)Tray 1: A4: 75 to 90 g/m²; HP envelopes: 75 to 90 g/m²; HP Photo Paper: up to 300 g/m²; HP 10 x 15 cm photo paper: up to 300 g/m²

Is the Envy a better printer?

Not for me - I admit I biased toward the OfficeJet Pro top-of-line series of printers.  Smiling.

Update:

Yes - the HP OfficeJet Pro 8600 series was one of the best all time printers.  These are finally reaching "end of days" in greater numbers - we see many posts in the Community - it's hard to move on sometimes...

Tough, reliable, and pretty forgiving - print on anything, print and print and print...

I never had the 8600 - I have had both a really nice OfficeJet Pro 8630 and a lovely OfficeJet Pro 8740 .

New Printer MIGHT accept that thicker paper, but I would guess that you will continue to have "leading edge" issues - the paper just doesn't grab, I think.

Stay Safe.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

I had the HP Officejet 8600 Plus, I bought photo paper and got lucky because it worked.

I must admit, I usually check all sorts of specs when I buy media or accessories but I didn't know enough to think that there was a thickness limit. I won't ever forget now.

I saw another post on this forum where some guy is pressing the rear door inward to make his printer handle thick paper. Another guy said he has a block of wood set up to do the pressing for him. Perhaps your solution would ween them off the Rube Goldberg solutions they are using?

HP Recommended

@HPretiree2009 

@HPretiree2009 wrote:

I had the HP Officejet 8600 Plus, I bought photo paper and got lucky because it worked.

I must admit, I usually check all sorts of specs when I buy media or accessories but I didn't know enough to think that there was a thickness limit. I won't ever forget now.

I saw another post on this forum where some guy is pressing the rear door inward to make his printer handle thick paper. Another guy said he has a block of wood set up to do the pressing for him. Perhaps your solution would wean them off the Rube Goldberg solutions they are using?

Wow, I doubt it.  Smiling.

I just wouldn't do that to my 9025.

I doubt anything I say would change the mind of someone who would use such methods.   As long as people accept the risks and no one gets hurt, I say, do what works for your situation.  Clever, after all, and no new printer necessary unless it breaks.

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.