Create an account on the HP Community to personalize your profile and ask a question
07-27-2022 11:19 PM
I have upgraded my PC to a Windows 11 Laptop.
How do I install the HP scan extend software on it, please. It is a much easier and more reliable piece of software to use that the old "HP Scan n Fax"
My printer is a HP 7740 Officejet Pro.
07-28-2022 10:14 AM
Welcome to the HP User Community.
HP Scan is part of the Full Feature Software / full driver printer software.
Download and Save
Notes for those reading
If the "upgrade" was an in-place upgrade to change the OS version in an existing Windows installation,
- Any printer software that was installed before the upgrade is no longer usable.
- Existing printing software in Programs and Features must be uninstalled > restart computer > install fresh full driver printer software
Why? Changing the version of Windows out from under existing printer software corrupts the installed printing software.
Windows Updates can also chew on (corrupt) printer software.
Living, breathing, just using Windows can occasionally corrupt printer software.
Uninstall existing printer software > restart computer > install fresh full driver printer software
Printer Software – Blocked in Security Software
Check your Security Software to make sure the printer software is not being blocked. Most Security software will allow you to make an exception for applications / software you want to use on your computer.
If you make changes to the security software setup, Restart your computer and log in.
Uninstall Existing Printer Software (Full Feature Software)
Control Panel > icon view > Programs and Features >
Find / Select > Uninstall the printer software
Restart the computer and sign in
Windows > Uninstall HP printer software > Restart.
Open Control Panel > icon view > Devices and Printers
Check > If the printer is found, Right-Click and Remove the printer
If you have to "remove" the printer, next: Restart the computer and sign in
NOTE: If software will not uninstall, appears to be removed and is “still hanging around” after you uninstall / Restart...
Restart the computer and sign in
Basic Instructions - Install the Full Feature Software / Full Driver printer software
- If the printer software is still / already installed, Uninstall the printer software from Control Panel > icon view > Programs and Features > Restart the computer and log in – Reference Uninstall HP printer software and drivers
After the printer software is uninstalled, check that the printer is not still lurking in Devices and Printers.
If the printer is listed, Right-Click on the printer and "Remove" > Restart the computer and sign in.
- If using VPN, shut it off to install software. NOTE >> If you don’t know what this is, you are not using a VPN – ignore this part.
- Reminder: If using USB cable between printer and computer, disconnect the cable before installing software. Later... Connect the cable when instructed (near the end of the installation procedure).
- Observation: It is possible (assuming your Wireless Network is stable) that using a Wireless connection to install the printer software might work better than using an Ethernet Connection. Personal choice - the Wireless connection method is recommended when you face insurmountable issues installing the software.
- Download and Save the Full Feature Software installation package or the Easy Start Software
- Open File Explorer
- Navigate to the folder in which you saved the installation file (likely Downloads)
- Right-Click on the installation package and “Run as Administrator”
- After the software is installed, Restart the computer and log in
If using Easy Start
- Skip any extra software / offers you do not want – Wording varies as does the number of times you have to “skip” or opt-out of various options.
- When asked, opt for "Full Software and Drivers" (exact wording might vary).
- If, after the Full Software and Drivers option is selected, the installation terminates (suddenly stops and disappears – never comes back): Open your Downloads folder > Look for and Right-Click on the full Web installation package and “Run as Administrator”
Your Subject Line: HP scan extend.
HP Scan Extended is an old subset from the full driver software released in 2015.
It is unlikely you want to use it.
HP Printer Home Page - References and Resources – Learn about your Printer - Solve Problems
“Things that are your printer”
When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic
NOTE: Content depends on device type and Operating System
Categories: Alerts, Access to the Print and Scan Doctor (Windows), Warranty Check, HP Drivers / Software / Firmware Updates, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, Lots of How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, Manuals > User Guides, Product Information (Specifications), Supplies, and more
Thank you for participating in the HP Community.
Our Community is comprised of volunteers - people who own and use HP devices.
Click Helpful = Yes to say Thank You
Question / Concern Answered, Click "Accept as Solution"
Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask the community