Create an account on the HP Community to personalize your profile and ask a question
01-19-2021 09:04 AM
Hp6978 1 1/2 yrs old new ink cartridges. Says paper jam, no paper jam. Was not shut down correctly and it was. Printer error first 0x61000048 then removed cartridges now error 0x6100004a. Very frustrating as I now have printer won’t work and $75 in new ink. Can someone help. I’ve tried everything listed on website to no avail.
01-22-2021 08:43 AM - edited 01-22-2021 08:44 AM
Welcome to HP Support Community
I would like to help
Please try these steps
- Turn on the printer.
- Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you continue.
- Disconnect the USB cable from the rear of the printer. If your printer has a network or wireless connection, leave it connected.
- Remove the ink cartridges from the printer and clean the electrical contacts with a lint free cloth
- With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer and from the wall outlet or power strip.
- Wait at least 60 seconds.
- Plug the power cord back into the wall outlet.
NOTE: HP recommends connecting the printer power cord directly to a wall outlet.
- Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.
- Turn on the printer, if it does not automatically turn on.
- The printer might go through a warm-up period. The printer lights might flash, and the carriage might move.
- Wait until the warm-up period finishes and your printer is idle and silent before you proceed.
- Reinsert the ink cartridges, and then close the ink cartridge access door.
- If you receive a prompt to print a calibration page, do so.
Also ensure the Firmware is updated https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c02919168
If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.
I Am An HP Employee
01-22-2021 10:30 AM
I tried but that didn’t work. Does ink cartridges supposed to be in middle cuz mine are on right. When I turn on I get this message paper jam then I hit ok cuz there isn’t one. Then I get this improper shut down which I always use button when I shut down if I do. Then I get printer failure do proper shut down if persists call hp 0x6100004a and before was getting 0x6100004e. All new cartridges. Thanks
01-23-2021 10:44 AM
I’ve looked with flashlight in every nook and cranny and have not gotten paper out that isn’t complete. I think it had something to do with cartridge thingee. It’s on the right and won’t move freely back and forth unless I shut off and on with lid open during start up. Then I can move but goes right back to right side. Shouldn’t cartridge carrier stop in middle? Thanks
01-26-2021 05:13 AM
Please ensure the printer has the latest Firmware https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c02919168
If the issue persists please contact HP Support in your region for service options
1) Click on this link - www.hp.com/contacthp/
2) Select your product type below.
3) Enter the serial of your device.
4) Select the country from the drop-down.
5) Select the chat or get phone number options based on your preferences.
6) Fill the web-form and proceed further.
I Am An HP Employee