Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need to install your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Officejet Pro 6978 all in one about 4 years old error code 0x6100004a carrier stuck to the right have tried all suggested "fixes" don't know if empty cartridges could contribute to this problem

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

I have an OfficeJet Pro 9025 and I have the exact same issue. I have no paper anywhere in the feed yet carriage is stuck. Seems maybe it is a software issue?

HP Recommended

@CarlJ47 @alanmccrn

Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help,

I understand you are not able to print due to this error. A 0x error indicates a hardware issue with the printer.

Kindly perform the steps mentioned in these documents to resolve this issue - '0xc19a0005' or Similar Error Code Displays and A 'Paper Jam' Error Displays Check for any paper jams inside the printer and make sure the print carriage is moving freely.

Update the printer firmware if possible

• Click here to download and install the latest printer firmware from your PC.
  • Click here to know different methods of updating printer firmware.

Try making a standalone copy and check if that works. By this, we can conclude if this is a hardware or a driver issue.

If the error persists, I'm afraid this is a hardware issue. I'm sending out a private message to assist you with the next course of action. Please check your Private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Community profile Next, to your profile Name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it or simply click on this link: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/notes/privatenotespage

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have Officejet 6958 and have gone thru the virtual agent process twice with no improvement. I was able to print two pictures after I replaced the yellow cartridge but now the problem continues - that the cartridge carrier will only move about a half inch or so - and not enough to remove any of the cartridges. I followed the instructions in the error message including to pay $63 to an agent names Ashish who tried various things , none of which improved anything. I am reluctant to try to force the cartridge carrier to move and have been in hopes that somewhere in HP there is an individual who can focus of the problem!

When I try to follow up on a reply I get a red message telling me that I am nor eligible to receive that message.

I am tired of this and have to go to bed!!

HP Recommended

my printer is Officejet 6958 . I recently installed a new yellow cartridge after which I printed a couple of color photos. Then the error message.  I have followed the instructions on the error message a couple of times - nothing. I have checked the software and it is up to date. I am not able to make a copy on the printer. I can't find any paper jam. I can't re-install the color cartridges because the carrier will not move far enough to reach any of them. I have tried the HP expert in India - to the tune of $63 and have had him find nothing helpful. 

HP Recommended

I have searched for the private response with no success.  I have followed the steps indicated but there was no change in the following attempt to print . I am not sure that I searched for the previous reply properly because I have not found anything further.

HP Recommended

hp officepro jet 9025

HP Recommended

@derbydon @Joan531

Thank you for posting back. 

This seems like a hardware issue with the printer. Check if the printer carriage is moving freely inside the printer.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

HP Scan Doctor use produced "Printer Failure" message a few minutes ago. ... I will also note that my black cartridge ink level is rather low, but the HP Smart software does not indicate that any of the ink cartridges are empty.

HP Recommended

My 6978 OfficeJet Printer (Windows 10) has the exact problem that CarlJ47 has: It indicates a paper jam with error code 0x6100004 and the printer carriage is stuck to the right. Using HP videos and other support resources, I did an extensive check for a paper jam and found none. The HP Scan Doctor produced a "Printer Failure" message and directed me to check that the paper tray and other components were properly seated and doors were closed (which I did), along with checking for a paper jam. I also confirmed that the firmware, drivers and other software were all up-to-date. I was unable to remove three of the four ink cartridges, because the carriage is stuck so far to the right, but I visually confirmed that none of the cartridges were protruding or otherwise improperly inserted. I was unsuccessful in my attempt to print a stand-alone copy, and I was unable to slide the printer carriage to the left (with the power cord disconnected). I also uninstalled and re-installed the software for the 6978. The printer is used infrequently and the unit is kept clean. Re: CarlJ47's comment, none of my ink cartridges are empty (per the HP Smart software indicator), although the ink level in the black cartridge is rather low.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.