Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
HP ENVY Photo 7164
macOS 10.15 Catalina

I have 3 month old ENVY Photo 7164 inkjet that will not let me print photos. I have HP 4"x 6" Glossy photo paper installed but the display does not show that there is photo paper in the tray. Every time I try to print a photo I choose the correct size and tray source from the print dialog box but I continue to get an error message on the display that no photo paper is in the printer. 

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi @TheTimster,

I'd like to help!

Try the below suggestions -

Step 1: Load photo paper into the main input tray

Load photo paper into the main paper tray. How you load the paper depends on where the tray is and what type of printer you have.

NOTE: 

If your printer has a separate photo paper tray and you want to use it, consult your user guide on how to print from the tray.

1. Remove any plain paper from the main paper tray.

2. Load the short edge of the photo paper into the tray based on your printer type. If the paper has a perforated tab for handling the photo after it prints, load the paper so the tab faces up or towards you to prevent printing on it.

• Inkjet printers with a rear load tray: Glossy or print side facing up

• Inkjet printers with a front load tray: Glossy or print side facing down

• LaserJet printers with a front load tray: Glossy or print side facing up

Loading photo paper into a rear load input tray

Loading photo paper into a front load input tray

Loading photo paper into a rear load input tray

Loading photo paper into a front load input tray

3. Adjust the paper width guides so they rest against the edges of the paper.

Step 2: Print the photo

Open the print dialog to select and change available settings when printing photos.

NOTE: 

Print settings and menu names vary by printer and the application you are printing from.

1. Before printing, edit the photo to improve colors, brightness, contrast and any other appearance settings.

2. Open the photo, click File, and then click Print. For the Photos app, select a layout, and then click Print.

The print settings window opens.

3. If you do not see the following options in the window, click Show Details.

Example of print settings with Show Details  selected

4. Select your printer from the Printer menu.

5. Some printers offer predefined Presets for photo printing. From the Presets menu, select an option that applies to your print job or paper type.

6. From the Paper Size menu, select the paper you are printing on. If necessary, click the arrow at the top or bottom of the pop-up menu to display more sizes.

Some paper sizes have multiple options. Make sure to select the correct borderless paper size, such as 4x6 in/10x15 cm Borderless, if you want to print a borderless photo.

7. Select the Orientation of the photo (portrait for vertical or landscape for horizontal).

8. Click the unnamed print options menu at the center of the dialog to access more print settings.

Unnamed print settings pop-up menu open with Layout selected

9. Make any print job settings changes. Refer to the following list for more information.

• Paper type: Selecting the correct paper type ensures the printer properly applies the ink to the paper you loaded in the printer. Click Media & Quality, and then click the Paper Type menu.

• Paper tray: Select the tray you loaded the photo paper into, if your printer has more than one tray. Click Media & Quality, and then select an option from the Feed from menu.

• Print in color or black and white: Select or de-select Black & White on the main dialog. The Presets menu also includes color and black and white options.

• Adjust print quality: Click Media & Quality, and then move the Quality slider to the desired setting.

• Add or remove a border: Click Layout, and then click the Border menu to select a border width or select None for borderless prints.

• Mirror printing: Reverse an image or document for printing iron-on transfers. Click Layout, and then select the Flip horizontally option.

10. Click Print.

Tips for printing quality photos

Read these tips and recommendations for printing the best pictures with your HP printer.

• Use HP photo paper: HP photo papers are optimized for use with inkjet printers and provide quality prints for craft projects or framing.

• Take high resolution photos: Higher resolution pictures result in clearer and more vibrant prints.

• Edit photos before printing: Before printing, use photo editing tools to crop the image and improve colors, brightness, contrast, and any other appearance settings.

• Check the computer display: If your computer monitor displays colors inaccurately, printed photo quality might be unsatisfactory. Try changing to the monitor's default color settings, or use a calibration tool to confirm the accuracy of the colors.

• Select Best quality in print settings: Higher print quality settings provide the best results.

To know the supported paper size and type refer to the printer specifications.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

And, Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.