Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
office jet 4650
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

When I try to print a #10 envelope from Word the printer tells me the printer sensor doesn't match the size of the paper I told it.

I was able to print the envelope using Nitro Pro PDF printer.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@markb33 

====================================================================

Welcome to the HP Community.

Be Aware:

Do not respond to individuals who post phone numbers or email addresses.

Do not respond to individuals who ask you to provide private information in a public Post.

These people might be scammers trying to steal your information / money.

====================================================================

Glad you found a solution.

I've not used Nitro PDF in a long time - I remember it seemed to work pretty well.

===============================================================

For those reading -

In GENERAL, when printer software is installed and functional,

When the envelope size is supported,

When the paper / media is loaded as required / supported for the particular printer,

The envelope might normally print from Word.

Below are some places to check and possibly adjust your setup.

Reminder:  The suggestions depend on your printer software being installed and functional.

Open your printer's Homepage > Load your envelopes according to the instructions in the user guide.

Reference

Product Home

Enter the type and name of your HP device

Next, open Category Manuals

Find and Open the User Guide - find the "Load Media" / "Load Paper" section.

================================================================

Next, tell the printer about the loaded media and set the Preferences

Check / Adjust / Retain the Paper at the Printer Display Panel

Open Printer Tray,

If you have not yet done so, add desired paper type

Wait a couple of seconds…

Close Tray

IF applicable for your printer:

Look for a message on the Printer Control / Display Panel,

Click Modify (wording varies), set the paper size and type, Click OK

Note:  Printer Display panel option is not applicable to printers that lack a printer display panel and might not be available on all printer models that do include a printer display panel.

Note 2 – Printer Display Panel > Adjusting the paper size:

If the size of your Paper Size is not in the Drop-down menu,

Select Custom (likely the last selection in the list)

And / Or

Embedded Web Server (EWS)

Note:  This option is not applicable to printers connected via a USB printer cable (no network connection).

If the printer is on the network,

If the EWS feature is supported on your printer,

Use the Embedded Web Server (EWS) to view / configure your printer.

NOTE:  Laser printer options in EWS are very different from those offered in InkJet Printers.

Open your favorite browser > type / enter Printer IP address into URL / Address bar

Tab Settings > Preferences > Tray and Paper Management

If applicable, check the Advanced section (at the bottom of the Tray and Paper Management menu)

Click Apply to save changes

NOTE:  If the size of the Paper Size is not in the Drop-down menu, Select Custom (likely the last selection in the list)

NOTE 2:  EWS is also available in HP Smart Windows and HP Smart Mobile > Settings > Advanced

Set the Preferences – Windows

NOTE:  This section is not applicable to Mobile Printing.

Printing Preferences are available directly from the driver and / or might be called "Printer Properties" / "Shortcuts" (or similar) from within printing software / applications.

Notes

• Generally, Ignore this section when not relevant – for example, when using Word > Mailings > Envelopes.  See Preferences and Envelopes
  • In the case of PDF / Image printing, Pre-set the Preferences (below) or set the Properties during the job setup.

Preferences and Envelopes

Regardless of what kind of printing you will do (later), make sure the Printing Preferences shortcut is set to "Everyday Printing" or something equally benign.  For example, don't leave the shortcut set to Booklet printing choices or other custom setups that are completely contrary to printing envelopes.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Check / enable the printer as the “Default Printer”

Settings > Devices > Printers and scanners

UNCHECK (clear box) Let Windows manage my default printer

Select (Left-Click) your printer from the list of printers > Manage > Set as Default

1. Select and adjust settings in each category for the Media (kind of paper), source (tray), and paper size.

Settings > Devices > Printers and scanners

Left-Click on (your) Printer > Manage > Printing Preferences

Next

Tab Printing Shortcuts > Click / Highlight your preferred shortcut > Click Apply > Click OK to exit

NOTE - Make changes to a Shortcut

• Select a shortcut > Adjust the settings for paper, source (tray), other settings > Check all sub-menus in all Tabs
  • Scan Menu for HP Scan >>  If there is a More > section, check / adjust settings in the sub-sections > Click OK to save sub-menu changes
  • If supported, save the edited shortcut or use “Save As” or “Create Custom Shortcut” to save as a new / different file name
  • Click OK to save the setup

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Example - Windows - Word > Mailings > Envelopes - #10 envelope

Suggestion:  If the envelope size is not accepted, in spite of it being supported by your printer, treat the envelope like a custom size:  Select size Custom > Enter the dimensions > Check the feed > When ready, Print

Rabbits_and_Chickens_Test_Envelope_10_4Rabbits_and_Chickens_Test_Envelope_10_4

Printer  Home Page - References and Resources – Learn about your Printer  - Solve Problems

“Things that are your printer”

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

Categories:  Alerts, Access to the Print and Scan Doctor (Windows), Warranty Check, HP Drivers / Software / Firmware Updates, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, Lots of How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, Manuals > User Guides, Product Information (Specifications), more

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

HP OfficeJet 4650 All-in-One Printer series 

OR

Product Home

Enter the type and name of your HP device

Thank you for participating in the HP Community.

The Community is a separate wing of the HP website - We are not an HP business group.

Our Community is comprised of volunteers - people who own and use HP devices.

Click Thumbs Up to say Thank You.

Question Resolved / Answered, Click "Accept as Solution"

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Thanks Dragon Fur. I am "back in business" after I downloaded the software and reinstaalled it. I will be keeping a copy of all the information you posted, but I hope I don't have to refer to it again<G>.

HP Recommended

@markb33 

Excellent.

Reloading the software fixes so many things.

Smiling.

Stay Safe.

Thank you for participating in the HP Community.

The Community is a separate wing of the HP website - We are not an HP business group.

Our Community is comprised of volunteers - people who own and use HP devices.

Click Thumbs Up to say Thank You.

Question Resolved / Answered, Click "Accept as Solution"

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.