Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
Officejet Pro 8600
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My HP Office Jet Pro 8600 started making a terrible grinding noise during printing. The paper was clearly having trouble feeding and then jammed. Everything stopped and I got a Paper Jam message. Despite trying fixes offered online, I can't get rid of the paper jam message. The carriage won't move on its own, although I can move it with some pressure. 

I have cleared everything, tried to clean, and gone over it repeatedly with a flashlight scrutinizing every inch but there is nothing there. I have also tried unplugging from the computer and the wall, waiting, and then plugging back in to reset. Nothing. 

I'm pretty much out of ideas. Can anyone help? I am a small business and need my printer!

Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@Flumoxxed 

You may need to consider replacing the printer.

This is one of the all-time best selling and best performing printer series out there - unfortunately even these work horses do eventually break down.

Printers in this group:

Results for "HP Office Jet Pro 8600" (4)

For example

Product introduced September 2011

HP Officejet Pro 8600 e-All-in-One Printer series - N911 

Troubleshooting > Section: Jams and Feed Problems

Documents, including:

'Carriage Jam' or 'E3' Error Displays

and

Paper Jam Error

About the best you can do is clean the physical parts - you've done this, of course...

The rollers might be worn out.  If that is the case, it means squeaky-clean won't fix it.

If you have not done so, try some different paper. 

Paper should be OK but it might be too dry, too damp, curled, weird, thin...

What else?

Re-check the paper settings (Media type / kind) in the printer software...

Thank you for participating in our HP Community.

We are a world community of volunteers dedicated to supporting HP technology

Click Thumbs Up to say Thank You for the help.

If the answer helped resolve your issue, Click "Accept as Solution" .

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Thanks. I was hoping not to have to replace it...but, sounds like there isn't much choice.

HP Recommended

@Flumoxxed 

You are welcome.

Sometimes the only solution is "get a new one".

When you are considering options, do pay attention to the features and options for the new printer.

Your Officejet Pro was one of the best of its time - printers of this caliber will not be inexpensive.

Pay attention, for example. to whether you need / want Digital Filing options.

Two-sided scan might be important to you.  The OfficeJet Pro 9025 offers both digital filing and single-pass two-sided scan.  Not every printer can do this.

Look for the Tech Specs

Read the printer's "Specifications" 

If you can find it, read the "Datasheet" for any potential printer.

Not sure?  Also look up and read the User Guide.

Open Support Home

Enter the name of your HP device

Category Manuals

If you shop at the HP Store, compare models.

Good Luck.

Stay Safe.

Thank you for participating in our HP Community.

We are a world community of volunteers dedicated to supporting HP technology

Click Thumbs Up to say Thank You for the help.

If the answer helped resolve your issue, Click "Accept as Solution" .

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Thanks. You too.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.