Create an account on the HP Community to personalize your profile and ask a question
03-03-2021 07:19 AM
The printer feeds regular paper with no problem. I am trying to print on photo paper and the printer jams
03-03-2021 02:13 PM - edited 03-03-2021 02:19 PM
Welcome to the HP Community.
Donot respond to individuals who post phone numbers or email addresses.
Donot respond to individuals who ask you to provide private information in a public Post.
These people might be scammers trying to steal your information / money.
Printing on photo paper requires several setups to be in place and recognized by the printer.
- Printer must be clean, have ink, and able to print as expected.
- Paper size and weight must be supported
- Paper must be properly loaded into the printer
- Printing software should be installed
- Printer must be aware of the paper and the settings
Printer must be able to print as expected.
Solutions - places to check / steps to be completed
Photo Paper must meed the limitations for size and paper weight.
Section Paper Handling > Paper tray capacities
Paper should be loaded into the printer according to the instructions in the User Guide
Starting on Page 18
Printing on photo paper likely requires that you have installed the printer software.
There are two main types of printer software:
- Full Feature Software (includes HP Scan for scanning and Printing Preferences)
- HP Smart Windows - includes printing for PDF / Photos-Images, basic setups, More Settings and shortcut selection.
The printer must be aware that you are using supported Photo Paper and that the paper is loaded
Tell the printer about the paper loaded into the printer and set the Preferences.
Open Printer Tray,
If you have not yet done so, add desired paper type
Wait a couple of seconds…
IF applicable for your printer:
Look for a message on the Printer Control / Display Panel,
Click Modify (wording varies), set the paper size and type, Click OK
Note: Printer Display panel option is not applicable to printers that lack a printer display panel and might not be available on all printer models that do include a printer display panel.
Note 2 – Printer Display Panel > Adjusting the paper size:
If the size of your Paper Size is not in the Drop-down menu,
If the “custom” paper size is available in the list:
Select Custom (likely the last selection in the list)
And / Or
Note: This option is not applicable to printers connected via a USB printer cable (no network connection).
If the printer is on the network,
If the EWS feature is supported on your printer,
Use the Embedded Web Server (EWS) to view / configure your printer.
NOTE: Laser printer options in EWS are very different from those offered in InkJet Printers.
Open your favorite browser > type / enter Printer IP address into URL / Address bar
Tab Settings > Preferences > Tray and Paper Management
If applicable, check the Advanced section (at the bottom of the Tray and Paper Management menu)
Click Apply to save changes
NOTE: If the size of the Paper Size is not in the Drop-down menu, Select Custom (likely the last selection in the list)
NOTE 2: EWS is also available in HP Smart Windows and HP Smart Mobile > Settings > Advanced
NOTE: This section is not applicable to Mobile Printing.
Printing Preferencesare available directly from the driver and / or might be called "Printer Properties" / "Shortcuts" (or similar) from within printing software / applications.
- Generally, Ignore this section when not relevant – for example, when using Word > Mailings > Envelopes.
- In the case of PDF / Image printing, Pre-set the Preferences (below) or set the Properties during the job setup.
Regardless of what kind of printing you will do (later), make sure the Printing Preferences shortcut is set to "Everyday Printing" or something equally benign. For example, don't leave the shortcut set to Booklet printing choices or other custom setups that are completely contrary to printing envelopes. The least "best" choice is "Factory Defaults" - try to avoid that shortcut if you can do so.
Check / enable the printer as the “Default Printer”
Settings > Devices > Printers and scanners
UNCHECK (clear box) Let Windows manage my default printer
Select (Left-Click) your printer from the list of printers > Manage > Set as Default
- Select and adjust settings in each category for the Media (kind of paper), source (tray), and paper size.
Settings > Devices > Printers and scanners
Left-Click on (your) Printer > Manage > Printing Preferences
Tab Printing Shortcuts > Click /your preferred shortcut > Click Apply > Click OK to exit
NOTE - Make changes to a Shortcut
- Select a shortcut and adjust the settings for paper, source (tray), other settings / Tabs
- Scan Menu for HP Scan >> If there is a More > section, check / adjust settings in the sub-sections > Click OK to save sub-menu changes
- If supported, save the edited shortcut or use “Save As” or “Create Custom Shortcut” to save as a new / different file name
- Click OK to save the setup
Example - Printing Preferences
Select shortcut > Adjust settings, including Paper Type and settings in More >
References / Resources
If you have not done so, download-save-install the Full Feature Software / Full Driver for the printer.
Full Driver / Full Feature Software does not require a sign-in to use the software.
- Home Page - HP Easy Start
- Open Category Software and Drivers
- Topic: Software-Utility
- Download-save-run the current version of the Easy Start wrapper to install your print software
No Easy Start?
Look for and Install the Full Feature Software from your printer’s support website
Open Product Home > Select your printer
Open Category Software and Drivers
Full Feature Software might have been relocated to
Package name might be Print and Scan Driver and Accessories
- Download-and-Save the printer software (Full Feature Software / HP Smart / Easy Start wrapper)
- If using USB: Disconnect the USB cable between the printer and computer before installing the software.
- Right-Click on the downloaded package and "Run as Administrator" to start the installation
- Reminder: If using Easy Start, select the Full Driver
Easy Start... The Journey
About 2/3 of the way through the setup, you will be given the opportunity to select the software - select the "Full Driver" set (as opposed to the basic driver).
You can Skip any suggestion that you add the HP Account – you’ll need the account at some point, but you can skip this suggestion (as many times as it insists it’s a good idea) during the full driver software installation.
If you see it, you can skip any suggestion regarding Instant Ink subscription.
If using USB: Connect the cable when instructed to do so (near the last part of the driver installation)
After the software is installed, Restart the computer and log in.
Full driver provides print and scan functions supported by your printer.
Install HP Smart - Windows
HP Smart for Windows
HP Smart is an application available in the Microsoft Store
Learn how to use HP Smart on your Windows 10 computer.
Open the Software and Drivers Support Website for your printer > Check the Box Get the App
- Website includes the HP Smart software for Windows and Mobile devices, plus an FAQ section to assist with questions / issues
- HP Smart requires that you be signed into the application with your HP Account credentials.
Example - HP Smart - Windows - Photo / Image Print
“Things that are your printer”
NOTE: Content depends on device type and Operating System
Categories: Alerts, Access to thePrint and Scan Doctor (Windows), Warranty Check, HP Drivers / Software / Firmware Updates, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, Lots of How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, Manuals > User Guides, Product Information (Specifications), more
When the website support page opens, Select (as available) aCategory > Topic > Subtopic
Thank you for participating in the HP Community.
The Community is a separate wing of the HP website - We are not an HP business group.
Our Community is comprised of volunteers - people who own and use HP devices.
Click Thumbs Up to say Thank You.
Question Resolved / Answered, Click "Accept as Solution"