Create an account on the HP Community to personalize your profile and ask a question
09-24-2021 05:12 PM
Printer will not pick up photo paper (4x6) from paper tray. Icon option for photo tray is grayed out and will not allow me to select it. I have tried all possible fixes on the HP support websites.
09-25-2021 12:34 PM
Printer will not pick up photo paper (4x6) from paper tray.
Icon option for photo tray is grayed out and will not allow me to select it.
I have tried all possible fixes on the HP support websites.
Welcome to the HP Community.
"All possible fixes" covers a lot of territory.
Not sure what we could add - so much has been proffered for this type of situation.
Not knowing what you are using - or what you have tried - does limit what we can offer .
For those reading - a sample of where to look and what to check / try
First - Printer Software!
If you have not done so yet,
Install the Full Feature Software / full driver for the printer.
The full driver provides the foundation on which other programs and printing software depend.
If you have not done so,
Inaddition to the HP Smart application,
Install the Full Feature Software / full driver printer software for the printer.
HP Smart and other print software / applications benefit from having the full driver installed.
If the full driver printer software is installed, you will see the printer listed inControl Panel > icon view > Programs and Features.
The installation of the printer software adds two shortcut icons to theDesktop.
ThePrinter Assistant is named for the printer and provides access to Print , Scan , and Tools
HP Scanis named for itself and provides a direct call to the HP Scan software.
NOTE: If the printer software
Uninstallthe printer software from Control Panel > icon view > Programs and Features
Restartthe computer and log in
Reminder: If using USB, disconnect the USB printer cable between the printer and the computer before installing software. (Re)Connect the USB cable when instructed to do so near the end of the installation procedure.
Installa fresh copy of the Full Feature Software / Full Driver printer software
Restartthe computer and log in
Use the Easy Start wrapper to install and configure the printer software.
- Home Page - HP Easy Start
- Open Category Software and Drivers
- Topic: Software-Utility
- Download-and-Save the current version of the Easy Start wrapper to install your print software
- If using USB: Disconnect the USB cable between the printer and computer before installing the software.
- Right-Click on the downloaded package and "Run as Administrator" to start the installation
- When asked, Select to install the “Full Driver” / “Full Feature Software”
- If using USB: Connect the cable when instructed to do so (near the end of the installation process).
- After the software is installed, Restart the computer and log in.
Notes >> Easy Start... The Journey
- Full Administrator Rights are required to complete the HP Software installation.
- About 2/3 of the way through the setup, you will be given the opportunity to select the software - select the "Full Driver" set (as opposed to the basic driver or other application).
- You can skip / ignore suggestion(s) that you add the HP Account – you’ll need the account at some point, for now, you can skip this suggestion (as many times as it insists it’s a good idea) during the full driver software installation.
- If you see it, you can skip / ignore suggestion(s) regarding Instant Ink subscription. Instant Ink subscription is NOT mandatory.
- Full driver includes print and scan functions supported by your printer and provides the printer features on which other applications / software might depend.
Load small paper according to the instructions in the User Guide
Alert the printer to the change / paper size and type
Example - Retain / Modify / Check Paper Size - Paper Type - Tray and Paper Management
Adjust settings in HP Smart Windows > More Settings > Paper type = Brochure or Photo
Open theHP Smart Windows application
Click toPrint Photos
Open / find the photo(s) you want to print
Set the options on the Main print menu
Verify / update thePaper Size
Try selecting the Source (Tray) as opposed to leaving "automatic"
When you select the paper type, selectBrochure or Photo Paper
Ifyou select an unsupported combination of paper size / paper type / other options,
When you click "OK" at the bottom of the More Settings menu,
You will see a message that explains the incompatible setup.
When the setup is correct as far as the software can determine,
Clicking "OK" saves the setup and returns you to the main print menu
Example - HP Smart Windows - Simple Photo Print - 4x6 inch - Borderless
References / Resources
If you have not done so,
HINT: Watch out for and UNCHECK unwanted extra software
NOTE: Adobe Reader DC software can be installed even if you do not normally open / view / print PDF files directly from the Adobe Reader DC software.
“Things that are your printer”
NOTE: Content depends on device type and Operating System
: Alerts, Access to the Print and Scan Doctor (Windows), Warranty Check, HP Drivers / Software / Firmware Updates, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, Lots of How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, Manuals > User Guides, Product Information (Specifications), more
When the website support page opens, Select (as available) aCategory > Topic > Subtopic
Thank you for participating in the HP Community.
The Community is a separate wing of the HP website - We are not an HP business group.
Our Community is comprised of volunteers - people who own and use HP devices.
Click Thumbs Up to say Thank You.
Question / Concern Answered, Click "Accept as Solution"
Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask the community