Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
envy 5740
macOS 10.15 Catalina

Error message paper jam  etc. There is no paper in the machine anywhere. It is clean and I have tried all the suggestions to fix to no avail. It goes through the motions and a couple of clunks at the end tell me it won't work and thats it. Everything moves around rollers, etc. My next step is to throw it in the lake and buy another brand. It is four years old circa. I won't of course throw it in the lake as not v eco friendly.

If only you could talk to someone to help fix. Back up support is non existent.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

I had a similar issue with my old HP Photosmart inkjet printer C8180. There was no paper jam and the paper mostly partially fed and stopped.

I kept removing the rear access door and checking, removing part fed paper only to get the same problem the next time.

I then noticed the long shaft behind the access door that goes across the printer, it's about 6mm or 1/4" diameter, and on the left it engages with a plastic drive cog. But it might not actually be fully engaged, because what seemed to me to be an excessive amount of spline on the last bit of the shaft was showing from the cog; although it looked fully engaged. This cog connects with another driving cog that rotates the shaft. This shaft carries the four rubber rollers that help feed the paper from the tray. You may have a similar design in your printer; if so take hold of the shaft between thumb and forefinger and slide it towards the cog to make sure it is fully engaged. It needs very little effort. My shaft merely engages in the centre of the cog and is not permanently secured, not that clever really! Problem sorted for me, try it with all the roller feeder shafts you can access it might work for you, good luck.

HP Recommended

Thanks and appreciate your efforts to resolve,

I think mine is similar if I have it correct from what you say. There are 2 cogs on the left of this shaft and they appear to be engaged. On the right, the shaft sort of rests without making a firm engagement so there is quite a bit of give here. I have since tried everything to see if I can solve this but not sure at all as it may not be that which is the problem. It is frustrating as if you could phone HP I am sure it would be resolvable quickly. But there is no one to talk to other than the useless virtual robots. Very bad service from them.

Meanwhile I have ordered a new printer as I am stuffed at the moment without one.

Again thanks for your help but no luck I am afraid. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.