Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet Pro 6970 All-in-One Printer
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

After spending nearly half a day with HP support, I was told that to resolve my OUT OF PAPER error message (I'm not out of paper at all) that I need to replace my low COLOR ink cartridges to get the paper to feed. This sounds outrageous, and expensive. QUESTION: has anyone ever solved a faulty OUT OF PAPER message by replacing ink cartridges? I only use b/w printing, my black cartridge is FULL. I have tried every HP roller clean/cold boot in the world. Please advise.

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@SueEB 

Welcome to the HP User Community.

Replacing the low color cartridge could be your option / solution.

What else?

Category How to 

Select Topic Print > subtopic Instructions and Settings

>>> Open / Read:   Print in black and white

HP Printer Home Page - References and Resources – Learn about your Printer  - Solve Problems

“Things that are your printer”

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

Categories:  Alerts, Access to the Print and Scan Doctor (Windows), Warranty Check, HP Drivers / Software / Firmware Updates, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, Lots of How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, Manuals > User Guides, Product Information (Specifications), more

Open

HP OfficeJet Pro 6970 All-in-One Printer series 

Thank you for participating in the HP Community.

Our Community is comprised of volunteers - people who own and use HP devices.

Click Helpful = Yes to say Thank You

Question / Concern Answered, Click "Accept as Solution"

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

No, after spending 1/2 cost of the printer, with all my cartridges at full, still getting OUT OF PAPER.

HP Recommended

@SueEB 

Edits / Update - Clarify section - Request additional information

Too bad, though the low ink message would be hard to ignore when other avenues failed.

Good to have replaced the low cartridge - it helps ensure that supplies are not contributing to the problem.

True - ink is expensive - the cost of printing at home is more noticeable if the initial purchase of the hardware was a modest investment.

What to do?

We do not know what has been tried.

For example,

One of the solutions HP might have tried during the 1/2 day marathon would be to uninstall / reinstall the printer software.

Installation Package

HP OfficeJet Pro 6970 All-in-One Print and Scan Driver and Accessories 

Was that done?

=========================================================================

We are not HP Support - we have absolutely no access to any notes of information about the case.

It would be helpful if you told us more about the symptoms you are seeing.

Please provide information on the following

• When the initial problem was noticed
  • Which software program or application you are using to print
  • Which paper size and type is used - and whether the paper has been used before
  • Whether the printer is aware of the paper size and paper type loaded in the tray (Printer Control Panel and / or EWS)
  • Whether the Full Feature Software is installed (and functional) - whether it has been removed / reinstalled
  • How the printer is connected
  • What type of content you are trying to print - for example, document / photo - image. 
  • If document - how many pages and whether the document is to be printed in duplex

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Printer was reset to factory settings. Are you suggesting I uninstall & re-install? I can do HOWEVER is there

any danger in that (more than having an unusable printer)? I see your link.

HP Recommended

@SueEB 

@SueEB wrote:

Printer was reset to factory settings. Are you suggesting I uninstall & re-install? I can do HOWEVER is there

any danger in that (more than having an unusable printer)? I see your link.

Of course, there is always some risk when removing / installing software.  

We cannot guarantee your system is healthy.

Windows 7, in particular, is unsupported -- The OS is vulnerable due to lack of security and driver support.

That said, the printer software is supported in this version of Windows.

If the printer was reset to factory settings - did the tech also then install the full feature software?

Example - Printer Software Installed

Programs_and_Features_Printer_Desktop_Icons_6Programs_and_Features_Printer_Desktop_Icons_6

We cannot see what you are seeing - more information would be helpful.

For example, provide at least some of the information mentioned in my previous post.

IN GENERAL

If the problem is not broken printer hardware,

If the software is already installed ,

If the paper, size, weight are supported for the current job,

The source of the problem is likely due to settings.

Examples

Paper size / type in Tray and Paper Management

Settings in the current job setup (Printing Preferences / Shortcut)

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Cant install HP Smart.pngI'm on windows 7 - wont install HP Smart & my HP won't allow on my Samsung so no I'm stuck mid-installation. HELP

HP Recommended

@SueEB 

Sorry now I'm confused.

HP Smart is not supported on your Operating System.

Are you trying to install the full driver printer software??

Basic Instructions - Install the Full Feature Software / Full Driver printer software

Preparation

• If using VPN, shut it off to install software.  NOTE >> If you don’t know what this is, you are not using a VPN – ignore this part.

• If the printer software is still / already installed, Uninstall the printer software  from Control Panel > icon view > Programs and Features > Restart the computer and log in – Reference Uninstall HP printer software and drivers

After the printer software is uninstalled, check that the printer is not still lurking in Devices and Printers

If the printer is listed, Right-Click on the printer and "Remove" > Restart the computer and sign in.

• Reminder:  If using USB cable between printer and computer, disconnect the cable before installing software.  Later... Connect the cable when instructed (near the end of the installation procedure).

Installation

• Download and Save the Full Feature Software installation package or the Easy Start Software
  • Open File Explorer
  • Navigate to the folder in which you saved the installation file  (likely Downloads)
  • Right-Click on the installation package and “Run as Administrator
  • If using Easy Start > When asked, opt for "Full Driver" (exact wording might vary).
  • If using Easy Start > Skip any extra software / offers you do not want (wording varies).
  • After the software is installed, Restart the computer and log in

NOTES

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Preparation > Check / enable the printer as the “Default Printer”

Settings > Devices > Printers and scanners

UNCHECK (clear box) Let Windows manage my default printer

Select (Left-Click) your printer from the list of printers > Manage > Set as Default

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

=====================================================================================

Samsung -- phone??  Different subject, I'm thinking 

If you want to switch gears and try to install HP Smart Mobile on your phone, 

Sure - do that - if the phone supports the HP Smart application and the printer is on the network, might work.

Mobile Printing – Options for Printers

Print from your Android, iOS, or Amazon Fire device with the HP Mobile printing app.

Open the section for your printer series  >  Find your printer and supported applications.

HP Printers - Mobile Printing Solutions Compatible with HP Printers

HP Smart (Mobile) - iOS and Android >>> Download, How-to, and FAQ

HP Printers - Using the HP Smart App (Android, Apple iOS)

Wait...

I need to back up a step -

I still don't have enough information to provide reasonable suggestions.

I don't know what you have tried, what you are using, or what you are trying to print.

No answers to the questions in my first post means we are not on common ground.

I am wasting your time and mine, too.

If I have anything else to offer, I'll post back.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Thanks to all for your help. 20 days after I initiated my OUT OF PAPER error/HP 6970 via hp tech service WhatsApp chat my printer was returned from the local service center in working order. 

HP Recommended

@SueEB 

Excellent.

Glad the printer is working now.

Happy Printing.

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.