Create an account on the HP Community to personalize your profile and ask a question
04-17-2022 10:48 AM - last edited on 04-17-2022 10:55 AM by Ric_ob
The short of it is I got a HP smartjet 6870. And I'm trying to print on two-sided but it's printing whole side of it but then it cuts it off about the last inch and resume on the other side so it really made a mess of my pages.
04-17-2022 11:34 AM
Welcome to the HP User Community.
Use Page Size = "Fit" / Shrink to Fit
Details / How-to / Examples
"It" might be a number of different programs that you can use to open / view / submit the document to the printer.
Margins for this printer are decent - and the same all around.
|Print Margin Bottom (A4)||2.9 mm||0.11 inch|
|Print Margin Left (A4)||2.9 mm|
|Print Margin Right (A4)||2.9 mm|
|Print Margin Top (A4)||2.9 mm|
That said, it is possible that a document structure might impinge on that requirement or that the options used might override the way the document prints on the paper.
Some of the causes page cutoff issues are explained here...
Word – Document Scale
Trouble with labels and possibly with other documents that include mixed content types:
There is a setting in Word that will "scale" a document for Letter / A4 paper.
If you are having alignment issues with your document (for example, labels, bottom of page chopped), UNCHECK this setting.
When printing directly from within Word
Word > File > Options > Advanced
In Section Print (about 2/3 of the way down)
UNCHECK "Scale content for A4 or 8.5 x 11" paper sizes
Click OK to save changes
Again dependent on the document structure and type,
Images, if not sized / structured to fit within their confines, can impact the surrounding text.
This is a bit less likely - you would notice if images (that might be part of the document) are not aligned correctly.
The Full Feature Software / full driver printer software should be installed and functional.
The printer software is pivotal to the process of printing, especially duplex printing.
Full Feature Software / full driver printer software - Installation Package - Information and Download
Basic Instructions - Install the Full Feature Software / Full Driver printer software
- If using VPN, shut it off to install software
- Not working? If the printer software is still / already installed, Uninstall the printer software from Control Panel > icon view > Programs and Features > Restart the computer and log in – Reference Uninstall HP printer software and drivers
Check / Remove: Windows > Uninstall HP printer software, check - if needed, remove the printer from your Devices list.
- Reminder: If using USB cable between printer and computer, disconnect the cable before installing software. Later... Connect the cable when instructed (near the end of the installation procedure).
- Download and Save the Full Feature Software installation package or the Easy Start Software
- Open File Explorer
- Navigate to the folder in which you saved the installation file (likely Downloads)
- Right-Click on the installation package and “Run as Administrator”
- If using Easy Start > When asked, opt for "Full Driver" (exact wording might vary).
- If using Easy Start > Skip any extra software / offers you do not want (wording varies).
- After the software is installed, Restart the computer and log in
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Preparation > Check / enable the printer as the “Default Printer”
Settings > Devices > Printers and scanners
UNCHECK (clear box) Let Windows manage my default printer
Select (Left-Click) your printer from the list of printers > Manage > Set as Default
In general, if the content does not fit on the selected paper size at 100% (actual size), use "Fit" / "Shrink to Fit" (wording varies) to force each page of content onto its sheet / page of paper.
Example - Document - Export to PDF format - Printed using Adobe Reader DC
HP Printer Home Page - References and Resources – Learn about your Printer - Solve Problems
“Things that are your printer”
When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic
NOTE: Content depends on device type and Operating System
Categories: Alerts, Access to the Print and Scan Doctor (Windows), Warranty Check, HP Drivers / Software / Firmware Updates, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, Lots of How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, Manuals > User Guides, Product Information (Specifications), more
Thank you for participating in the HP Community.
Our Community is comprised of volunteers - people who own and use HP devices.
Click Helpful = Yes to say Thanks!
Question / Concern Answered, Click "Accept as Solution"
Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask the community