Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
HP Deskjet Plus 4155

Hey,

I just purchased the HP Deskjet Plus 4155.  I set it up, printed off some test paper, and copied some papers as well.  After not using it for a few hours the scan bar started moving back and forth about 4 inches. (From far left to where it would start scanning a document.)  As long as the printer is awake it continues to do this.  There is no errors that are displayed.  I can get this to stop 1 of two ways.  1.  Lift the scan lid (as if I'm going to scan a paper) or 2.  Put a piece of paper in the document feeder that is on the lid of the printer.  I phoned tech support, and they insisted that this was normal...  Seems really weird that they would want a printer that is constantly making noise, when not in use.  If anyone could help me out that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks! 

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Marko1125, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

Let us try these steps to resolve this issue:

Reset the printer

1. With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.
  2. Wait at least 60 seconds.
  3. Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.
  4. Turn ON the printer, if it does not automatically turn on.
  5. Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you proceed.

Note: HP recommends connecting the printer directly to a wall outlet rather than a surge protector or a power strip.

Update the printer firmware

Click here to download and install the latest printer firmware from your PC.

Click here to know different methods of updating printer firmware.

If the issue persists, align the ink cartridges as shown in step 9 of this document.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I reset the printer, the firmware is up to date, and I aligned the ink cartridges.  It did not help.  The scan bar continues to move back and forth unless I have a paper in the top document feeder or have the scan lid open.  What other steps could I take?  

So the scan bar moves from where it is in the picture then to the left to fill that little window.  

16104948473241316530519234395301.jpg

If I have a piece of paper in the top document feeder (over white tab sticking up in pic), or have the scan lid open the scan bar will stop moving

16104950256996232364324724580168.jpg

Thanks

HP Recommended

@Marko1125

It seems like a hardware issue with the printer. Please reach out to the HP Technical Support team in your region regarding the service options for your printer. 

You may create a case on the website to obtain a case number if required. Kindly watch this video to know how.

Keep me posted for any other assistance.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.