Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
macOS 11.0 Big Sur

How can I get my HP Office Jet Pro 8720 to print on HP Premium Plus Photo Paper

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@ShadowLocke1 

I am not sure the printer will support this paper.

HP Premium Plus Photo Paper - Paper Specifications 

According to the Specifications, this printer handles photo paper up to 280 gsm.

Printer Specifications for HP OfficeJet Pro 8700 Printers 

Section Paper Handling

Photo paper
220 to 280 g/m2 (80 lb bond)
Up to 50 sheets (17 mm [0.67 inch] stacked)

The four examples I found of the paper show it to be 300 gsm at that 80lb weight.

One example:

https://www.hp.com/us-en/shop/pdp/hp-premium-plus-soft-gloss-photo-paper-100-sht-4-x-6-in

Yes, I realize that the stats don't match.

If your paper is marked at 300 gsm (packaging), it might be too heavy for the printer.

If the printer is in very good condition AND if it is very clean and not showing signs of wear,

You might be able to use this paper.

Which settings?

No idea but select the heaviest photo paper you can find in your print dialog.

For example, "Other" might be an option.

Opinion:  "HP Advanced" photo paper is 250 gsm - very nice paper - likely not a suitable menu choice when using the "Premium" paper.

HP Printer Support Home Page - References and Resources – Learn about your Printer  - Solve Problems

“Things that are your printer”

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

Categories:  Alerts, Access to the Print and Scan Doctor (Windows), Warranty Check, HP Drivers / Software / Firmware Updates, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, Lots of How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, Manuals > User Guides, Product Information (Specifications), more

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

HP OfficeJet Pro 8720 All-in-One Printer series 

Thank you for participating in the HP Community.

The Community is a separate wing of the HP website - We are not an HP business group.

Our Community is comprised of volunteers - people who own and use HP devices.

Click Helpful = Yes to say Thank You.

Question / Concern Answered, Click "Accept as Solution"

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Thanks, the paper will go through the printer but the printer doesn't print on the paper.  I does great on plain printer paper.  Thanks for your feedback.

HP Recommended

Again, thanks for your response.  The packaging of the Premium Plus HP Photo Paper indicates that the paper is 280m/square meter.  The packaging indicates that it is 75lb paper.  So, while it is at the upper limit of the range specifications it is within the range.  My printer I would say is pretty clean and Is very low usage, I believe it to have little signs of wear.  The printer only has the option of photo paper. it doesn't ask for the grade.

So I guess, since I am using paper within the range, and since the paper feeds without an issue but it doesn't print, that there is perhaps a software problem?  Puzzling.

I tried to upload the latest software to see if it couid be a printer software issue.  The HP Easy Start recognizes my HP 8720 printer and goes to the point when it says "Preparing for device setup" and the program never advances past this point.  The HP Easy Start program show the screen "Preparing for device setup" screen and the circle "spins", but the program doesn't go beyond this point.   This is after downloading the program anew and rebooting both my computer and printer.  I cannot check my computer software or firmware using the HP Easy Start Program.  Is there another trick that one needs to be aware of here?

Again, thanks for the help.  If you have any clues that would help me find out why I am having problems that I cannot resolve with photo printing and checking my software and firmware  it would be greatly appreciated.

Wishing all a great Thanksgiving week

HP Recommended

@ShadowLocke1 

First, try cleaning the rollers and possibly the Reset as described in this Troubleshooting document:

Paper Jam Error

==========================================================================

Next,

We must call in someone who has actually worked with installing the printer software for MacOS.

@ShlomiL 

Can you assist?

ShadowLocke1 would like to print on HP Premium Plus paper.   

Paper is pulling through OK but is not printing.

Paper is verified to be within the 280 gsm weight limit.

Not sure about the print surface on the paper - I've used this paper but I don't have any references whether I used it in my OfficeJet Pro 8740.

There is only a single paper type for "Photo Paper" in the print dialog.

Missing full driver software?

I found an old sample reference to my 8740 printer - it lists HP Advanced Photo Papers in the Media Types list.

That is perhaps not relevant, of course; printer drivers differ between MacOS and Windows.

Thanks for taking a look.

==========================================================================

The Community is a separate wing of the HP website - We are not an HP business group.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Many thanks for the note.  

Here is an update.  You can forward to your friend.

After letting the HP Easy Start software run for 30+ minutes with my screen showing "Preparing for device setup" with the circle going round and round, I decided to quit.  There was continue, and quit perhaps losing all of my settings (I had done this several times already) and another setting that indicating I could go directly to the driver, I tried the go directly option. 

This bypassed the HP Easy Start program and led to installing the driver and also, interestingly enough, the HP Easy Start program.  Both seemed to install correctly.

I decided to try printing again.  I put in a single sheet of photo paper and hit print, the paper again went through without printing.  I received an error message stating Paper Problem:  Make sure paper is loaded and is below the paper stack tab or line shown on the tray.  Touch OK when ready to continue.  I took the same sheet of paper, reinserted and tapped OK.  

The photo printed!   The printer didn't allow enough time for the ink to dry before ejecting and there are linear marks on the paper when the wet ink on the paper was finally ejected.  Man, I doubt that the programmers planned that, I tried printing a second photo and I had to repeat the same steps, putting in a single sheet of paper, having it ejected and then reloading.  This time I waited before removing the print, about 4 minutes.  The "scratch" marks were still there, not enough time for the ink to dry before ejecting from the print bed.

Not sure how to pass this on, but there are a lot of vagaries in printing on photo paper based on my singular experience and there is a flaw in the software not allowing the ink to dry long enough before ejecting.  I basically used two pages of this expensive paper, finally getting a result and the print was flawed by the printer when ejected.

Again, many thanks for your help!   Not sure how to pass this one, perhaps you will know. 

Again, best wishes for a good Thanksgiving.

HP Recommended

@ShadowLocke1 

You are welcome.

Personally, though I've used the premium paper here and there, I don't prefer it.

I do more often use (and have used in all my printers over time) the HP Advanced photo paper.

The Advanced paper meets my current needs, does the job, dries fast, and doesn't seem as fussy as the heavier "premium" paper.

Yes, there are vagaries with the MacOS driver loads - not sure why, but something is not quite right there and I don't have personal experience to expound on the subject.

Were it me, I'd try the other paper - Life is short and all that.

Smiling.

If @ShlomiL has anything to offer, we will hear back.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Hey @ShadowLocke1, @Dragon-Fur!

Let's verify the paper settings, a such would likely occur due to not setting the correct paper settings for either the device or the print job.

First, what is your HP Premium Plus Photo Paper finishing, is it a Glossy Paper, Matte, etc.?

When loading the paper to the paper tray be sure to remove any exising paper first and only load a single paper type, when you close the tray be sure to set the correct settings for the printer (e.g. HP Photo Paper - Matte, HP Photo Paper - Glossy, etc.), ensure that both the Paper Size and the Paper Type are correctly set.

Also, when printing from the Mac ensure the paper settings are correct for the job within the Print Dialog itself, ensure that both the Paper Type and Size are set accordingly for the print job, and then try printing.

You may follow below steps to change the print driver settings on the Mac:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/ish_2387104-2310812-16

Please let us know how it goes,

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.