Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
hp 6968

printer false paper jam message. carriage will not move by hand. feels like it is hitting.

have tried a hard restart. Happened after a misfeed, but message never would go off.

the info page says it is a HP OfficeJet Pro 6960.  I tries downloading the latest firmware - claims it is up to date.

It had a paper jam.  After clearing it, pressing OK, and following morning pressed the power button to turn it off.

It always comes up claiming a paper jam, the ink carriage never moves. Once when I unplugged it as it was coming up, it left the carriage loose, so while off I could manually move it.  All other times it is held far right.  I suspect a firmware control problem of not clearing an error message properly. and with a flag left set to say 'jam"  it is not even trying to come up.

Totally  Frustrated!

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@JanS22, Welcome to HP Support Community!

If you have already performed the steps from document A 'Paper Jam' Error Displays and the issue persists, it could be a hardware failure.

Please reach out to the HP Support in your region regarding the service options for your printer.

Hope this helps!

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I checked for new firmware - it claims I have the latest.

If I unplug at the the right time, the carriage is movable - cleaned the ink jets (don't know why that would matter, but it was suggested). 

used a dry paper towel to clean up some ink from around where it was stuck on the far right (it's HOME")

tried barely starting a piece of paper ... it then fed the paper all the way though, and moved the carriage back -and forth... all was looking good, But, it put the carriage back in its home displayed that erroneous error message and stopped. 

I can shut it off using the button.  But, when powering on... it goes through its paces and errors.

HERE IS NO JAMMED PAPER.

When the carriage leaves it home, it moves freely.

I think it is a FIRMWARTE problem

HP Recommended

@JanS22

Thanks for replying!

I appreciate your time and efforts in trying to resolve the issue.

This looks like a hardware issue.

Please reach out to the HP Support in your region regarding the service options for your printer.

Hope this helps!

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I start a piec og paper just barely into the print path.  It is pulled in, the printer goes through start up, including moving the ink carrage  after the paper is that far into the printer.  the paper is then pushed out, the carriage goes HOME.  and igives the paper jan error message.

I occasionally get the hex  default error.  unplug, wait, plug  clears that and back to Jam message.  everything is moving fine - it is a software/firmware problem!

HP Recommended

@JanS22

The only option left is to perform a full reset and re-initialize the printer. 

The reset instructions are specific for your printer and performing those steps on a different printer may brick the device. 

I've sent you a private message with reset instructions, follow the reset instruction to perform a full reset and re-initialize the printer. 

In order to access your private messages, click the private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Community profile, next to your profile Name or simply click on this link.

Hope this helps!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

HP Officejet J6480 All-In-One false paper jam

HP Recommended

@Mentor99, Welcome to HP Support Community!

If you have already performed the steps from the document Paper Jam Error and the issue persists, it could be a hardware failure.

Hope this helps!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Does "BL" stand for "Bottom left" ?

HP Recommended

@JanS22

Yes, bottom left.

Thanks!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.