Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended

No matter what I do, my new OJP 9015 will not scan to a fully shared and accessible network folder.

Please go to my thread at Ten Forums to see the details.  Here's the link:

https://www.tenforums.com/network-sharing/168598-hp-printer-wants-pc-have-logon-password-no-scan-net...

Maybe you have some thoughts?

Thanks.

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@glnz 

Edits - Minor update to content

It sounds like the issue has been resolved - not the way you wanted it done, but you did report back that scan to network folder works if you adhere to the requirement for using a password on the login.

I cannot offer much to the conversation beyond iterating that this printer may not work the same as a different printer.  Just this past week, in fact, I received a rather heated response that included reference "well, the 8500 printer did it this way, so..."  To the customer's credit, she did not like the answer I offered to the particular issue and was perhaps simply venting frustration.

I can offer the following for your consideration.

If you have not done so,

If the printer firmware is out of date,

Update the printer firmware.

HP OfficeJet 9010/OfficeJet Pro 9010 All-in-One Printer series firmware update 

Open your favorite browser > type / enter Printer IP address into URL / Address bar

Tab Tools > Printer Information

Example - EWS - Extract the firmware version from the full firmware version information.

Firmware Version

MANHHIPP1N001.2010A.00

Compare the firmware on the printer to the firmware version offered in the Update.

================================================================

If you have not done so,

Install the latest Full Feature Software for the printer

HP OfficeJet Pro 9010 EasyStart Printer Setup Software – Offline Use Only 

If / When asked, opt for the Full Driver

================================================================

Check / Adjust SMB settings

EWS > Tab Network > Advanced Settings > SMB

Click Apply to save any changes

In Windows

Settings > Search for "Windows Features"

Select "Turn Windows features on or off"

Menu opens

Scroll down > Find, Open, Adjust SMB setup 

Click OK to save any changes

Check / Adjust Scan to Network Folder settings

Caveat

Nothing in the example addresses the requirement for login security.  I have never run a machine without login security and cannot comment on the desire to do so, whether or not it works, on what platform it works or does not work, or even whether it is a good idea.

Open your favorite browser > type / enter Printer IP address into URL / Address bar

Tab Scan > Scan to Network Folder > Network Folder Setup

EWS_9025_Scan-to-Network-Folder_5EWS_9025_Scan-to-Network-Folder_5

Printer  Home Page - References and Resources – Learn about your Printer  - Solve Problems

“Things that are your printer”

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

Categories:  Alerts, Access to the Print and Scan Doctor (Windows), Warranty Check, HP Drivers / Software / Firmware Updates, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, Lots of How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, User Guides / Manuals, Product Information (Specifications), more

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

HP OfficeJet Pro 9015 All-in-One Printer 

Thank you for participating in our HP Community.

We are a volunteer community workforce dedicated to supporting HP technology

Click Thumbs Up to say Thank You for the help.

If the answer helped resolve your issue, Click "Accept as Solution" .

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

I've had numerous issues with the software for the 9015, and I had to set my computer back by six weeks to get rid of the HP software.  Lots of problems.

I do NOT want a password to log on to my home Win 10 Pro 64-bit PC (currently version 1909).  I insist on finding a way to make Scan to Network Folder work WITHOUT having a log on password for my PC.

There is one possibility that I will try later - that the designated network folder to receive the scans not be just

\\server\scans

where "scans" is the share name,

but maybe it must be \\server.domainname.local\scans

SO - how do I figure out what to insert for .domainname.local ?

I am at home on a Workgroup, not a domain.  I suppose I need to find out the sort-of domain name that my router uses.  It is something like fios-verizon.something.  How do I find that out?

Thanks.

HP Recommended

If you are scanning to a folder on a computer then the domain name is the host name of that computer .

Repairatrooper_0-1605380930608.png

keep in mind that security requirements, especially authentication for network sharing have been steadily increased and in some cases you will need to apply a password, which you should have anyway, although I am not here to get into a discussion on computer security. If you are aware of the risks of having no passwords and accept those risks, that is your business. 

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

Repairatrooper - With that handle, you MUST be the right guy!

Yup - I have the "About"  network name for the Win 10 Pro 64-bit (v 1909) PC to which I want to send Scans to Network Folder.  And the scans work if I impose a login password on that PC, which I very much do NOT want to do.

As you probably know, the setup for Scan to Network Folder presents an option for "No Credentials", but that does not work when sending to the Win 10 PC.

Please put aside your good security advice - what can I do to get this uptight 9015 and its programming to be my slave rather than the other way around?

Update - I found the "DNS domain name," "DNS connection suffix"  and "DNS search suffix list" in "View your network properties" - it's fios-router.home  .   How would you add that to the  \\DEVICENAME\ShareName   syntax?

EDIT - or should I also add my PC user name to the \\DEVICENAME\ShareName   syntax?  How would that go?  And there's a space in my user name on the Win 10 PC.

NEW EDIT - none of the variations of the user name works.   HP's "No Credentials" option DOES NOT WORK.

Thanks. 

HP Recommended

I have completely gone back to Factory Default on the 9015 and NOT downloaded ANY of its software, but in a brand-new setup, the 9015 will NOT Scan to Network Folder when my Win 10 PC does NOT have a password to log on.

See more details at < THIS LINK ON TEN FORUMS >

That is wrong wrong wrong by HP.  Its option not to use any credentials for the Scan to Network Folder setup DOES NOT WORK.

HP Recommended

UPDATE - I have fixed this problem by

(a) enabling SMB 1 on my Win 10 Pro 64-bit PC (v 1909) in Windows Features,

(b) enabling SMB 1 in the Embedded Web Server (EWS) for my 9015 at Network - Advanced Settings - SMB, and

(c) DISABLING (unchecking) SMB 2 and 3 on the 9015 EWS in the same place.

I had done (a) and (b) before but not (c).  (c) is necessary.

This is not good.  SMB 1 is NOT secure.  HP has failed to make SMB 2 and 3 work on Win 10 Pro.

HP has fallen down here.

HP Recommended

In another forum, I got this suggestion for making SMB 2 and 3 behave and permit connections to my PC without a logon password on that PC:

1. Click the Start button and type msc in the Search programs and files bar and hit enter.
  2. At the left pane, go to Local Computer Policy > Computer Configuration > Windows Settings > Security Settings > Local Policies > Security Options
  3. Look for “Accounts: Limit local account use of blank passwords to console logon only” and double click on it.
  4. By default the Enable option is selected and all you need to do is select “Disable” and click OK.

Questions: 

a) Do you think SMB 2 or 3 will work without a logon password on my PC, if I follow the above guide? Or do they absolutely require a logon password?

b) And if they work after I follow the above guide, are they rendered less protective?

Thoughts?

HP Recommended

Bump as to my question immediately above.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.