Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
OfficeJet Pro 6978
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

After a few hours (or minutes, I'm not sure), of none printing, in order to print again, I have to manually turn the printer off and then on again.  If I have a print job in waiting, the job shows but no status.  In the "Devices and Printer" window my printer is light grayed until I turn the printer off and then back on again.  What can I do to stop this, what seems to me, a time-out issue?  I've looked in where you can turn on or off the AUTO Off and it doesn't have a disable function, just times up to 8 hours.  Please be basic in your responses, I'm no IT guy.  

Thank you in advance for your prompt response.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

BTW, I'm using Windows 10, not 8

HP Recommended

Hi,

Please ensure your printer firmware is up to date:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02919168

Additionally, follow below utility and check for any change:

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/printers/hppsdr/patches/HPPSdr.exe

If you experience further issues, is the printer connected with a USB, Ethernet or wirelessly?

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

Thank you for your reply.  I don't want you to think I'm not appreciative of your response and offer of help, I am.  But, I have tried and checked all of that.  

The thing is, I tried all of the tips suggested, once again, and as usual, no updates, nothing!  While trying them, again, I noticed that the time (just the time, the date was okay) on the printer was wrong by about 10 hours.  So, I corrected the time and ran the updater again.  This time it updated.  I left the printer on all night and tried to print, just a few minutes ago, and it printed without having to shut it down and turn it on again.  

I highly recommend that the first thing anybody suggests is to check is the date and time on the printer, FIRST. 

Now I'm curious as to how the time got changed.  This all happened suddenly and I never would have thought of checking the time, I just happened to stumble onto it.  The time isn't something that is displayed on the printer display.  

Anyway, thanks for the offered help.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.