Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Laserjet 1020
macOS 10.15 Catalina

If you upgrade Mac to Big Sur your printer will no longer function. Then you can get support from your site. //support.hp.com/us-en/document/c06960563 This document lets you remove your printer software to be never more recoverered again on your MacBook. You cannot get support to retrieve the former software. Apple and HP do not wish to help you and blame each other for the inconveniences.  Your printer is out of date. You can buy a new HP on the Apple site of on the HP site. This old laser printer functions perfectly on a microsoft computer though and maybe for many more years.  

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi @JMMeijer,

I'd like to help!

HP LaserJet 1020 Printer series driver for macOS is not available from the HP website or Apple Software Update.

Hope this helps! 

And, Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping

HP Recommended

This is most discouraging. I have a document i MUST print tonight. I am not happy. The printer is a workhorse and still works perfectly. Why won't you support it? shame on HP. now I am stuck.

HP Recommended

@staying_calm
Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details:

• Are you getting any error message while printing a document?
  • When was the last time it worked fine?
  • Have you tried updating the printer drivers?

Keep me posted for further assistance.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have ditched my dearly beloved HP Laserjet 1020 ( given it back to my husband) and borrowed a Laserjet M1212 nf MFP printer- which I was able to download some basic software off apple site for, and have got it working... though it has been glitchy. Can I update the software/ driver for THIS printer? To help? It prints, but like I say...glitchy. 

HP Recommended

@staying_calm

Thank you for posting back. 

HP Laserjet 1020 driver for macOS 10.13 are not available from the HP website or Apple Software Update. However, Gutenprint (formerly called Gimp-Print) provides open-source basic print drivers for many printers that would otherwise not be supported in Mac OS X. To see if your printer is supported, go to Gutenprint drivers for more information. 

• NOTE: Gutenprint drivers are not supported by HP or Apple. 

Hope this helps! Keep me posted.  

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping! 

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.