Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I've got an HP M227fdw printer I've been very happy with for a while now, but I recently had to set it up on a new computer that is running windows 10. The only option I seem to be able to find is this "HP Smart" software, which, for scanning - which is the relevant bit, since the drivers allow me to print from any program - just seems inferior in every way to the simpler software I was using on the old, windows 7 system? I have not found a way to adjust presets (I had about 5 custom configurations I regularly used on the old one), I have not yet found support for front-and-back scanning, and it seems to only support color or grayscale, not black and white scanning, and seems to lack the output file type options of the original. That it required me to create and attach to a cloud service - which provides no utility I have any use for, and in fact raises security concerns, since literally the only documents I deal with in hard copy at all are ones containing information that needs to be secured - not that I'm suggesting your cloud storage is specifically insecure, but it is the principle of the thing, I explicitly and specifically have reason not to store these files anywhere but locally. The promotion of this cloud aspect, combined now with a complete absence of any interface options or settings that even mention the cloud, make me wonder what cloud services may or may not be automatically happening in the background?

Cloud concerns aside, I was extremely happy with the old version of this software, finding it intuitive and quickly tailoring it's settings to make my life easier, and this new version seems simultaneously more complicated and lacking many of those advanced features I so appreciated. Is there a way I get the old version, and will it even run on windows 10?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.