Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended

HP Smart assigns by default a name to printers, which coincides with the printer's series or model. This name cannot be changed.

Even if the name is changed in Windows, HP Smart doesn't get the name from Windows.

I have two identical printers, so I have no easy way of recognising them in HP Smart. The only way of recognising them is to open the printers settings and check their serial number, which is very unpractical, as I can't remember which printer has which serial.

I am getting used to the many limitations of HP Smart, but they are getting worse and worse every day I use it.

This question has been asked in the past, but I see HP developers are ignoring users' requests.

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@Ale123456, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

Yes, the printer name on the HP Smart app cannot be changed. I understand this concern. Let me escalate this issue to the concerned team.

Please look for a private message from me requesting additional information. Keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Community's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Is there a resolution to this that was exchanged via PM?

I have the same issue with multiple HP all-in-ones (same model) on the same network. I also have additional networks at other locations with the same HP printer model. It's essential that the HP Smart app is able to distinguish the different physical printers at each location/network  (e.g. so I can easily choose/specify which printer to scan from). 

Here's a potential workaround if the HP Smart app is unable to do this - use the older HP Printer Assistant software. Before trying HP Smart, I used the HP Printer Assistant software which handled this scenario. It's requires a little technical savvy, but it solved this problem in pre-HP Smart days. I manually updated the Host Name and Bonjour name of each physical all-in-one device - either directly on the control panel of the printer, or through the printer's Embedded Web Service page (EWS). With the customized names, the Printer Assistant software is able to uniquely identify each device and prompts the user to choose which device the software should connect to at startup of the software. When you add the printer to MS Windows, you need to do so using the Printer Assistant software (not the Windows Add Printer dialog). 

Thanks in advance for any clues how to address this issue in HP Smart.  

HP Recommended

Yes we had the same issue, we just ordered 10x HP Laserjet Pro MFP M428dw for our office. The Smart App looks pretty and clean, however you can not change the name of the printer. Support confirmed this and told me that our employees will have to look at the serial number to know which printer they are scanning from. We can not expect our employees to memorize 10 serial numbers and check it in the settings every time they want to scan. 

Unfortunately, that means that HP printers are not suited for office spaces with more than 1 printer. We are now packing all the 10 printers back up and returning it to Best-Buy, we are going to try a different brand with the ability to change printer names.

HP is not supposed to be used in business/corporate environments, only single-printer environments

HP Recommended

Thomas127,

Im not an HP resource, just a guy who's been using multiple HP All-In-Ones on small networks for a while. See my earlier post on this thread. I agree with your assessment that the new HP Smart app looks "pretty and clean". It probably works fine for a rudimentary personal setup with just one network printer/all-in-one. However, it's not ready for prime time on multi-printer networks as demonstrated by its awkward inability to handle renaming of identical devices on multi-printer networks that you've already seen.

On the other hand, the older and more established HP Printer Assistant tool has robust capabilities and handles device custom device naming just fine. I incorrectly described it as a "workaround" in my earlier post. It's actually the "old/reliable" software that was proven to exist/work in more complex network scenarios before HP Smart even existed. I'd encourage you to check it out for your situation before you go thru the hassle of Best Buy returns. 

As you pointed out, It may not be as pretty or have a catchy name like HP Smart, but it works for what you want to do.

HP Recommended

Please add me to the list. I have 2 AIO Ink Tank 410 printers, but it's confusing to select the correct one from HP Smart due to the naming issue. Today, my husband accidentally printed his doc to my 410. I've also done the same and printed to his 410 in error. I'm hoping for a solution soon. 

HP Recommended

@loriawi

I understand your concern and I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP.

They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact.

Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Community's private message capability works, you can learn about that here:

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/First-Time-Here-Learn-How-to-Post-and-More/How-To-Send-A-Private-Messa...

Keep me posted for any other assistance.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.