Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Laser 107w
macOS 11.0 Big Sur

Hello, 

I was worried this might happen even before purchasing this printer, because many reviews mentioned this – I can't get my new HP Laser 107w to work on my Mac running Big Sur. 

I tried to connect it to my Wi-Fi using HP Smart app on my iPhone, but that didn't work since I own an iPhone 6 which is now too old to run the app. Then I installed the desktop version of the app on my MacBook Pro, which seemed to work fine, it even found my printer and somehow installed it, but something went wrong along the line and I had to redo the process and now the app can't find the printer again. I tried a million times – can't find it wirelessly or via USB, nothing ever happens. 

I tried reinstalling the app, restarting the printer, using HP Easy Start, nothing works. I'm also getting this "fax.backend will damage your computer", which I tried to fix using HP Uninstaller, but again, didn't work and I'm getting seriously pissed and frustrated. 

Important to note – I CAN add the printer manually using the Apple's Settings menu and print via AirPrint, but it doesn't work reliably and prints in very low resolution, which is unacceptable. 

Is there anything that can make my new printer work? Should it be this difficult to set it up? Do I return it and buy something that actually works? Seriously over this. Thanks. 

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@Yurayy, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

There is no printer driver available for this model printer on the HP Support site to work on macOS. However, this model printer is AirPrint compatible. There is no other option than using the AirPrint driver to install and print from your Mac(recommended).

Update the printer firmware

Click here to know different methods of updating printer firmware.

Also, check for any software updates on Mac

Click the Apple icon > About This Mac > Software Update and install any available update.

Check the connectivity between the devices. 

• Make sure the printer and the Mac are connected to the same wireless network. Either 2.4 or 5GHz network.
  • If you have a Dual-band router and both 2.4GHz and 5GHz networks share the same name/SSID, the printer will not be able to connect to the network. In this case, contact your Internet service provider to assign different names to both the networks.
  • Also, check with your Internet service provider if your router is able to forward 'Bonjour packets'.

Bonjour locates devices such as printers, other computers, and the services that those devices offer on a local network using multicast Domain Name System (mDNS) service records. The software comes built-in with Apple's macOS and iOS operating systems.

Perform a ping test to check the connectivity

1. Obtain the IP address of the printer by clicking on the Wireless icon on the printer
  2. Open a new Terminal window (it's located in Applications > Utilities, or you can just start typing it in Spotlight).
  3. Enter “ping” followed by the IP address of the printer. 
  4. Press Return. Press ctrl C after 10 pings
  5. There should be 0% packet loss, share the results in your next post.

For more info, refer to - Printing with Apple AirPrint

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@

Secondly, I did update my macOS to the latest version (Big Sur), but that didn't help either. All of the problems persisted. Actually, not really, I was able to install my printer via HP Smart successfully, only to see it was like it has never happened a few minutes later – printer was not found after all. 

You also mention AirPrint and that WORKED, but low-resolution printing only – why is that?

Regarding the Bonjour packets, ping tests and IP addresses, ain't nobody got time for that. I honestly can't afford to spend one more day trying to get this thing to work, which I believe won't happen anyway. It's now in the box ready to be shipped back.

Never buying HP again and will warn any Apple user not to either. Terrible experience. 

HP Recommended

@Yurayy

The printer driver is different from the printer firmware. AirPrint drivers should give you good printouts. You may check the print settings guide here.

The other steps were to check the connectivity between the devices. We will have to perform the troubleshooting steps to resolve this issue. If you want to ease your efforts, I think this issue needs some additional technical assistance that can be better provided through one-on-one interaction or a remote session with our HP Support team.

Please reach out to the HP Technical Support team in your region for further assistance. 

Keep me posted for any other assistance.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Wish I read this before I bought my DeskJet 2752, I'm having the same exact problems. Won't be buying HP again, that's for sure.

HP Recommended

What I did is:

- reach my Android phone, where I have the Plugin of HP Print" App installed

- find the printer (that was easy)

- connect it to the wifi (you have to type the WiFi password here)

- finish the set-up on the phone

When finished, you can go back to your Mac Big Sur and you will easily find your printer on the air, using the Bonjour protocol. Finish the local set up and that's it.

True is that the HP tech support here was not able to suggest this simple, albeit awkward route.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.