cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Common problems for INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about Instant Ink. Check out this link: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER. .
sbr14
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 1
Flag Post

Can't install full printer drivers, on HP Envy 4520 series printer

HP Recommended
Envy 4527
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My 4527 printer was working correctly until it randomly lost the ability to print in colour. My PC can detect that the printer is colour enabled but the options to print in colour via the HP Smart app and programs like Word all disappeared. 

Based on hours of troubleshooting I am certain that the driver is at fault. I've uninstalled the faulty one, but the printer only re-installs the basic driver by default which doesn't have the colour printing options. 

I downloaded the Full Driver (the 148MB one), ran it, and it nearly completes before becoming stuck. It tries to open the HP website to get me to install HP Easy Start. EASY START IS ALREADY INSTALLED ON MY MACHINE, it doesn't detect that and doesn't let you skip. It then tries to open an internet explorer window, WHICH HP'S SITE DOESN'T SUPPORT ANYMORE!

This means you are left soft locked, unable to complete the driver install, leaving me unable to print in colour.

PLEASE, if you're reading this and you can contact the department in charge of printer drivers, get them to remove the use of internet explorer and just launch the user's default browser instead or allow the user to skip that step.

It's so frustrating that the driver is locked behind an unnecessary and broken step in the driver installer, and that the website team and drivers team didn't update the driver installers to remove internet explorer!

Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation