Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Envy 4527
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My 4527 printer was working correctly until it randomly lost the ability to print in colour. My PC can detect that the printer is colour enabled but the options to print in colour via the HP Smart app and programs like Word all disappeared. 

Based on hours of troubleshooting I am certain that the driver is at fault. I've uninstalled the faulty one, but the printer only re-installs the basic driver by default which doesn't have the colour printing options. 

I downloaded the Full Driver (the 148MB one), ran it, and it nearly completes before becoming stuck. It tries to open the HP website to get me to install HP Easy Start. EASY START IS ALREADY INSTALLED ON MY MACHINE, it doesn't detect that and doesn't let you skip. It then tries to open an internet explorer window, WHICH HP'S SITE DOESN'T SUPPORT ANYMORE!

This means you are left soft locked, unable to complete the driver install, leaving me unable to print in colour.

PLEASE, if you're reading this and you can contact the department in charge of printer drivers, get them to remove the use of internet explorer and just launch the user's default browser instead or allow the user to skip that step.

It's so frustrating that the driver is locked behind an unnecessary and broken step in the driver installer, and that the website team and drivers team didn't update the driver installers to remove internet explorer!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.