Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP envy printer

Good day, honorable society

First of all, I wish to apologize for my expression. I am a native french speaker. I have not the worst understanding of english, but when talking about technical things, I am bound to use uncorrect vocabulary. Plus, I am a real dummy in informatics. I am not a computer person. I am also under the effect of a medecine with side effects on my expression.

Sorry in advance if my question isn't supposed to go here too.

Ma mother has a problem with her HP printer. She lives rather far from here and I can only help her out with computer stuff when I am there. The detection of the printer by the computer is random.
She turns everything on, she has it plugged via USB. I checked how she did before with shutting everything to see if she forgets stuff and it turns out she isn't doing a wrong thing. Sometimes, she tries to print stuff on Open Office, and just a blank sheet gets out of the printer.

I have read on various sites and forums that a clean reinstal of the printer can help.
I am a bit scared of attempting this. I am affraid some old programs or drivers or whatever it's called may stay and enter in conflict with the new ones.

So my question is,

How do I make a clean quake and bullet proof reinstal of the printer? In order to avoid all errors, all lacking, corrupt, glitching setup or configuration or whatever it's called?

Thank you very much for reading.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Alex_Tomaso

Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details:

Keep me posted for further assistance.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Good day, Echo Lake

Thank you for answering so quickly.

Unfortunatly, my mother doesn't live next door, but 80 kilometers away from where I live.
To help her out with the printer, I need to be there.

So far she was unable to tell me the version of windows she is on even with explaining her the procedure to find it out.

I take it is either windows 8, 9 or 10.

It is a lap top computer, but last time I saw, she seems to allways have the tangible usb plug string connecting the printer and the computer.

What is written on the printer is

HP ENVY 4525

PRINT SCAN COPY WEB PHOTO

When I wrote that I was looking for a way to reinstall everything, if ever it does solve the problem, it was a sincere question , maybe it could have seemed like desparate call out of rage.

I do intend to reinstall everything if it has the reputation of solving a good share of the problems.

The thing is, I am not great at informatics and computers in general.
The more I discover about them, the more I figure it's all about intricate software and hardware that can enter in contradiction, cause glitches because something was left etc.  I would like to know such traps to avoid when reinstalling the HP setup from the beginning.

The message to message system seems to be inadequate for my situation, as I will need to wait to be back there to do the next steps, and I can't stay for long at my parent's home, I am going there only at the end of April.

Thank you very much for proposing your help and for reading me.

Cordially

Alex

HP Recommended

@Alex_Tomaso

Thank you for posting back. 

Not to worry! Work on it as per your convenience and keep me posted on the results, I'm here to help you out.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.