cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Common problems for INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about Instant Ink. Check out this link: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER. .
PatrickYork
Level 1
11 6 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post

Colours printing incorrectly from PDF

HP Recommended
HP Envy 5540
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am using Scribus desktop publishing software.  If I create a file and export it to PDF, the PDF looks fine on the screen, but prints incorrectly.  The colours of images are printed correctly but all coloured text prints as black.

I have contacted Scribus support about this.  I uploaded a PDF that was showing the behaviour above.  They printed it from Adobe Acrobat on an Epson printer and the colours were fine.  Thus they have reached the conclusion that my printer driver is at fault.

I have tried reinstalling the latest drivers from HP website but this has had no effect on the problem.

Can anyone suggest what I might try next?  Even some kind of test that proves the problem is with Scribus or Adobe or the printer driver would be a step in the right direction.

Kind wishes ~ Patrick

4 REPLIES 4
Dvortex
Retired
Retired
9,855 9,843 923 1,600
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello, @PatrickYork – Greetings!

Welcome to the HP Forum! This is a wonderful location to converse with the community, get assistance and find tips!

I understand that you are having issues while printing PDF documents. I would like to help 🙂

First off, are you using the Adobe Reader application to print the PDF files? 

If you are using the Adobe app, then try the steps below:

1. Try the "Print as image" option:

• Choose File > Print, and then click Advanced.
  • Select Print as Image.
  • Click OK to close the Advanced Print Setup dialog box, and then click OK to print.

2. Install the latest update:

• Open Reader or Acrobat.
  • Choose Help > Check For Updates. If a new update is available, it installs automatically.
  • Once installed, restart your computer.
  • Print the PDF again.

Also, please go through the steps mentioned here: http://hp.care/2dSDxCD

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance!

Cheers 🙂

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
0 Kudos
PatrickYork
Author
Level 1
11 6 0 0
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

Thanks for the answer.

I am afraid none of that helps.  In fact, the problem has now got worse with the printer now printing only black and white from all applications.  Coincidentally or not, this started when I printed a PDF as an image, as suggested in your reply, and that came out black and white.

The print-heads are okay because the built-in diagnostic pages print in normal colour.

I have tried uninstalling the printer and reinstalling the latest drivers.  No effect.

I currently have an expensive lump of useless plastic on my desk.  In all my years of owning printers (usually Canon or Epson), I have never had a spontaneous unfixable problem like this.  As things stand, I am trying to work out how I can afford to buy a new Canon or Epson, because I am really not impressed with this.

- Patrick

0 Kudos
MKazi
Retired
Retired
12,746 12,732 829 1,523
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@PatrickYork

I have escalated your concern to HP’s Support Team in your region to have it reviewed for available options, if any.  You should be contacted within 4 business days (Excluding holidays & Weekends).  

Response times may vary by region. Please send a Private Message, if you aren’t contacted within 4-5 business days.

0 Kudos
PatrickYork
Author
Level 1
11 6 0 0
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The solution I finally worked through with a HP support member is shown in another of my posts, which actually turned out to be the same problem: HP Envy 5540 Won't Print Colour

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation