Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Deskjet 2622
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am having trouble with my HP Deskjet 2622. It has been working fine for 6 months then it suddenly went missing from the printers list on my PC . No matter what I do I cannot reinstall it. I keep getting driver not available in the windows settings. When i remove and install I get "element not found" with the windows installer. The HP app loads and runs the scanner part of the printer but when I try to print from the app it says "printer not installed". It tries to install it but then says " there was a problem with the installation, install manually." So i try to install  it manually through windows installers and get

"element not found."

It is connected to my pc with a usb, but also has to be connected over wifi to use the Instant Ink subscription. In the printer menu it shows the usb connection and the wifi connection for some reason. I have tried connecting with just one, or the other or both and still get the same result. Every HP support agent has told me the same thing, use the HP Print doctor, but that just tries to install the driver, but fails. Not sure what else to do. See images below. 

hp2.jpgHP1.jpghp4.jpg

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi @markpb1,

I'd like to help!

Let's try and uninstall the printer software from the root level on your PC and install the full feature printer software.

First, unplug the USB cable from the printer if present.

• Go to Control panel – Programs and feature – Select all the HP printer entries and uninstall them.
    • Now go to Control panel – Devices and printer – Select all the printer entries and remove the device.
    • Restart your computer.
    • Click the bottom-left Start button on desktop, type device manager in the search box and tap Device Manager on the menu.
    • Once in device manager, click on the view tab in the top & choose “Show hidden devices”.
    • Then from the device manager list, check the entries under “Printer” – If there are any entries, please right click and choose “uninstall” – In the confirm device un-install pop-up, make sure you select the box which says “Delete the driver software for this device".
    • Also, check the entries under "printer queue" and "imaging devices" and repeat the same exercise. Delete any printer entry or any entry which says “Unknown device”.
    • Once done, close device-manger. Then press the "windows key" + "r" to get the "Run" window open - Type "printui.exe /s" and press enter.
    • Under print server properties, go to drivers - remove any entry there as well.
    • Again, go running window, type – “c:/programdata” – Go to Hewlett Packard folder, remove any printer related folders & files.
    • Once done you can try cleaning out your temporary files and cached files. You can try using automated applications like some cleaner software's that you can download from the internet.
    • Now restart your computer again.
    • Open the Run window again, type “services.msc” and press ok to get services window.
    • Scroll down to “Remote Procedure Call (RPC)” – right-click and go to properties. Make sure the service is started and startup type is “Automatic”.
    • Now scroll up and go to “Function Discovery Provider Host” – right-click and select properties – Change the startup type to “manual” and start the service.
    • Repeat the same exercise on “Function Discovery Resource Publication” as well
    • Windows image acquisition stop and restart the service 

Reinstall the drivers from Software and drivers page

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

And, Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping

HP Recommended

Hi, thanks for helping out on this. I have followed your instructions. Unfortuneatly the problem is still present. I can scan from the HP Smart App, but not print. It says printer not installed. When it tries to install it says there is a problem. The printer is shown in my printer settings, but "driver not available"

Regards

Mark   

HP Recommended

Install the built-in print driver over a network connection with Windows 10.

1. In Windows, search for and open Control Panel.

2. Click Devices and Printers, and then click Add a printer.

Clicking Add a printer

3. On the Choose a device or printer to add to this PC window, select your printer, click Next, and then follow the on-screen instructions to install the driver. If your printer is not in the list, continue with these steps.

Example of printers found in the Choose a device or printer to this PC window

4. Click The printer I want isn't listed, and then select Add a local printer or network printer with manual settings.

Selecting Add a printer using local or network printer with manual settings

5. Click Next.

6. Select the port to be used by your printer, such as USB001 for a USB connected printer, and then click Next.

7. Click Windows Update, and then wait for the print drivers to update.

8. Click HP, Hewlett-Packard, or Hewlett Packard in the Manufacturer pane, and then click the name of your printer in the Printers pane.

• If your printer is in the list, select it, click Next, and then follow the on-screen instructions to install the driver.

• If your printer is not in the list, click the back arrow in the upper left corner of the window two times to return to the Find a printer by other options step, and then continue with these steps.

9. Select Add a printer using TCP/IP address or hostname, and then click Next.

Selecting Add a printer using TCP/IP address or hostname

10. Select Autodetect from the Device type drop-down list.

11. Type your printer IP address into the text box, and then click Next.

To find the printer IP address, print a Wireless Network Test report or a Network Configuration page.

12. Wait for the computer to connect to the printer, and then click Next to install the print driver.

You may refer -Installing and Using the Windows Built-in Print Driver

Let me know how this goes! 

HP Recommended

Hi, I followed those steps and when it starts installing the driver I get "printer driver not installed. element not found"

markpb1_0-1603269115731.png

HP Recommended

Repair system files

Use the Microsoft System File Checker (SFC) utility to repair damaged or corrupt system files.

1. Close all open programs and apps running in Windows.

2. Search Windows for command, right-click command prompt from the list of search results, and then select Run as Administrator.

3. Type sfc /scannow in the command prompt, and then press Enter.

The Microsoft SFC utility attempts to find and repair any damaged or corrupt files.

• If a Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations message displays, continue to the next step.

• If a Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired them message displays, continue with these steps.

• If a Windows Resource Protect could not perform the requested operation or was unable to fix the corrupt files message displays, go to Use the System File Check tool to repair missing or corrupted system files (in English) for more information.

4. Try to install the HP driver and software again.

If the error message still displays, continue to the next step.

Use the Microsoft Fixit Solution

For computers with Windows 7 and later, Microsoft has released an automated solution that fixes installation problems.

Go to Fix problems that block programs from being installed or removed (in English) to download and run the tool.

If the error message still displays, continue to the next step.

Then try!

Let me know how this goes!

HP Recommended

Hi,

i have followed the same results, but I'm still getting the same outcome. HP won't install the drivers and doing it manually i get "element not found".

In windows printer settings it still says "driver is unavailable" But still allow the printer to scan, but not to print. 

I think I might have to throw this printer and get another. I'm paying for inksmart, but I've not been able to use it. 

HP Recommended

Let's create a  new user account and then try to install the drivers-

1. Tap the Windows icon.

2. Select Settings.

3. Tap Accounts.

4. Select Family & other users.

5. Tap "Add someone else to this PC."

6. Select "I don't have this person's sign-in information."

7. Select "Add a user without a Microsoft account."

8. Enter a username, type the account's password twice, enter a clue, and select Next.

9. Tap the Windows icon.

10. Select the User icon at the upper left corner of the Start menu.

11. Select the new user. You'll then sign in to your account with your password from step 8.

Then install the drivers-Software and drivers page

Keep me posted!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.