Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Envy5440
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Envy 5440 running on a Dell with 24GB ram and i7 processor running Windows version10.0.19041

This printer worked fine until a week ago. The print job spools as expected and printer displays <printing> but the job never completes. Every minute or so, a blank sheet is advanced but only the first 1 or 2 lines of print appear on the first page. Windows 10 Control Panel, indicates a <working printer> so I'm assuming the driver is present and operational. Word, shows the print job being processed.

The printer works fine on a Macbook Pro; this Windows bug is getting VERY frustrating. The timeline to a trash can is approaching. I've uninstalled / reinstalled software several times. A system restore/recovery has been completed but does not solve the issue. A new user was created to no avail. HP Print/Scan Doctor (+ virtual agents) shows no solution, nor does any MS troubleshooter. The cartridges were replaced a few weeks ago and paper is in the printer. (~15 sheets) USB cable has been replaced.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Lesson learned .... don't blame software or firmware when a simple hardware issue triggers a frustrating problem. All works well when connected to a different set of physical ports. I'll have to remove the system board and find a faulty solder joint. (someday).

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@dwatson3

Thank you for posting on HP Support Community.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, I have a few troubleshooting steps we could try to fix the issue:  

Download and run HP Print and Scan Doctor: Follow steps from the link: Click here

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks ....I did use use the app <HP Print and Scan Doctor> several times and was unable to resolve the problem. ... BUT yesterday, when I accidentally touched the USB cable with my foot, a print job completed. Even though the cable has been changed, I'm investigating if one bank of USB connectors soldered to the system board are 'flakey'. (could be a simple solder connection on the motherboard) When I plugged into the front bank, I had success. I'll finish that today and repost.

HP Recommended

Lesson learned .... don't blame software or firmware when a simple hardware issue triggers a frustrating problem. All works well when connected to a different set of physical ports. I'll have to remove the system board and find a faulty solder joint. (someday).

HP Recommended

@dwatson3
Thank you for posting back. 

I would request you to contact our Support and our Support Engineers should be able to sort this out. HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link:  www.hp.com/contacthp/

NOTE: HP does not recommend upgrading or downgrading hardware parts or software that is bundled with the product as It may affect the manufacturer's warranty and performance, however, you could change the configuration at your own discretion.

Please feel free to contact us here anytime you need any further assistance. Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.