Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Color Laser Jet Pro MFP M281fdw
macOS 10.14 Mojave

Hello, I recently updated my Color Laser Jet Pro MFP M281fdw and am now receiving an endless loop of "Error 79 Service Code." Any advice? I love this printer and just want it back to normal!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@jtf3

Welcome to the HP Support Community.

Downgrade the firmware driver with this version and it worked. [content removed]

Steps:

• on the printer, go into the printer's Setup | Service | LaserJet Update | Manage Updates

• set Allow Downgrade = yes, Allow Updates = yes

• download ([content removed]) and run

• Point that to your printer, mine took few times since my printer connected wifi.

• After downgrade 

• on the printer, go into the printer's Setup | Service | LaserJet Update | Manage Updates

• set Allow Updates = no (so the firmware doesn't auto-update and break compatibility again)

Let me know if this helps.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hello,

Please click  https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printers-Knowledge-Base/Error-79-on-HP-Color-LaserJet-Pro-M280-M281-Mu...  to access the steps that should resolve the issue .

Regards,
Jabzi

Give Kudos to say "thanks" by clicking on the "thumps Up icon" .

Click "Accept as Solution" if it solved your problem, so others can find it.
Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
HP Recommended

I took a firmware update on my 2 year old HP Color Laser Jet Pro MFP M281fdw and now I can't print at all, just keeps rebooting 79 service error.

I tried the steps listed and same issue.  I do have third party cartridges which worked fine until the firmware update.

Can I go back to the old version of the firmware.  I have the original support CD.

thanks!

HP Recommended

@jtf3

Welcome to the HP Support Community.

Downgrade the firmware driver with this version and it worked. [content removed]

Steps:

• set Allow Downgrade = yes, Allow Updates = yes

• download ([content removed]) and run

• Point that to your printer, mine took few times since my printer connected wifi.

• After downgrade 

• set Allow Updates = no (so the firmware doesn't auto-update and break compatibility again)

Let me know if this helps.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

This solved it!!

Thanks so much.  I was getting very frustrated and about to move on.

HP Recommended

OK so now I can print but trying to scan I get the Error 79 Service Code and it reboots.

IPv4 is disabled per another attempt to fix the printing issue.

What else can I check?

thanks,

jtf3

HP Recommended

@jtf3, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

IPv4 should not be disabled. Kindly perform the below steps to resolve this issue:

1.      Disconnect the printer from the NETWORK
  2.      If on wired network : Unplug the  Ethernet cable from back of the printer.
  3.      If on wireless network : Power of the Wireless router. Turn off the printer.
  4.      Wait for 30 seconds. Turn on the printer. 
  5.      If the printer is in READY state, on the printer front panel, go to Setup -> Network Setup -> Network Services -> IPv6 -> Off.
  6.      Turn off the printer. Wait for 30 seconds and then turn on the printer.
  7.      Once the printer is in Ready state you may go ahead and connect the printer to the network ( Power on the Wireless Router or plug in the Ethernet cable ) and then try printing/scanning.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.