cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Common problems for INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about Instant Ink. Check out this link: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER. .
leBopper
Level 1
7 6 0 0
Message 1 of 11
Flag Post

FW corrupt

HP Recommended

I attempted many approaches to resolving the same issue with a M252 dw Color LaserJet Printer  after fewer than 50 printed pages, the printer went to unsuable with the same "fw Corrupt" on the display.

I used what you suggested and by touching the display in the lower right hand corner while it "boots" am able to get the maching to display the icons and menus that would have one believe the isue is fixed. However, I am unable to install the latest firmware for the machine using the HP installer.  Perhaps a firmware upgrade can't be installed "over the top" of a corrupt firmware.

Anyway, the printer is a brick before the "shipped with" cratridges have even been consumed.

Any real solution would be appreciated.

10 REPLIES 10
Jeet_singh
Retired
Retired
21,068 21,004 1,399 2,376
Message 2 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @leBopper,

Thanks for engaging in HP support Forums! This is a wonderful location to converse with the community, get assistance and find tips! I came across your post and wanted to assist you. 

I understand that you are getting a firmware corrupt message on your printer. Let's start by performing a power drain on the machine. Here are the steps:

• Remove the cartridges from the printer.
  • With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer and also unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.
  • Remove USB cable, if present.
  • Wait for 2-3 minutes, press and hold the power button on your printer for about 30 seconds to remove any additional charge.
  • Now plug back the power cable straight to a wall outlet without any surge protector or an extension cord (This is important) and then plug back the power cord to the printer.
  • Turn on the printer and wait till warm-up period finishes and the printer is idle.

If the issue persists, I would suggest here is to perform an advanced reset on the printer. 

I am sending you a private message with the steps to reset the printer. Please check the mailbox icon at the top-right corner of this screen.

Please check your Private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Forums profile,

Next, to your profile Name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it.

Please reply back on the public post as this Private message box is not monitored.

I hope this helps resolve this issue completely,

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
leBopper
Author
Level 1
7 6 0 0
Message 3 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for your recommendations.  I have attempted a number of things that are similar or identical to your suggestions, though maybe not in the same order.  I will try them again exactly as you cite them.  I will report back if I succeed ot not.

Jeet_singh
Retired
Retired
Message 4 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @leBopper,

Thank you for replying,
Please take your time and get back to me with the results,

I'll be awaiting your response and would be glad to help.

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,
It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accepted Solution.
And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment. 

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

leBopper
Author
Level 1
7 6 0 0
Message 5 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I will definitely reply with results as soon as I get a chance to try your approach.  I have been wrapped up in holiday events and planning.  Will try the suggestions, in order of sequence given, by the close of business tomorrow.

le Bopper

Jeet_singh
Retired
Retired
Message 6 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @leBopper,

Thank you once again for replying,

Please enjoy your Holidays and Wish you and your family a Happy new year!

Once you are back from vacation, you can try the steps suggested and get back to us with the results for further assistance.

Keep me posted,

If the information I've provided was helpful,

give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons,

that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

leBopper
Author
Level 1
7 6 0 0
Message 7 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

OK.  I've followed your two sets of instructions - 1) the Power Drain approach and 2) NVRAM approach.

AS I indicated previously, I had tried the steps you advised earlier but wasn't sure they were in the sequence you cite.

So here's the blow by blow.  Note the printer had been unplugged for a week or more before starting with your solutions.

Power Drain Approach

1.  Removed the toner cartridges

2. Turned on the printer

3. Display booted and showed cartridges required  (normal graphic alert, I suspect)

4. Disonnected the power cords at both ends

5. No USB in use

6. Waited several minutes while no power then depressed power switch for 40 or so seconds to discharge

7. Reonstalled toner cartridges

8. Reconnected power cable- first to printer, then to wall outlet, directly

9. Without pressing power button printer booted up and display showed all menu options

10. Printed test page, toner report and config report from the display

11. Set up wi-fi connection using the wizard - printer acknowledged the wi-fi connection

12. Attempted to send a doc to the printer from a computer on the wi-fi network

13. Printer window on HP desktop computer (windows 7) alerts a printer error.

14. Error 61 displayed on Printer display

15.Printers restarts by itself and displays the FW Corrupt message.

NAVRAM Reset

1. Using your isntructions, attempted to obtain the Permanet Storage Init. message. Tried 5 times - no success.

2. Then unplugged the printer and follwed the discharge procedure in the Power Drain Approach

3. Plugged the printer into power, first to printer then to wall outlet

4. Used the "lower right hand quadrant" technique to achieve   Permanet Storage Init.

5. Permanet Storage Init. sequence successful

6. Display restored to normal and "Ready" state

7. Set up Wi-Fi with wizard

8. Wi-F- connection acknowledged

9. Display shows Error 79 message Turn Off/On

10. Printer restards by itself. Displays a WHITE SCREEN

11. I perform the unpug/discharge sequence

12. Upon power up (that occurs upon plug in with out pressing the power button),  printer immediately displays the "Ready 2 Download  FW Corrupt message" 

The results of both your approaches yielded the same incremental results that I had previously experienced.   I had, prior to your communication, achieved exactly the same unenduring results; i.e. the appearance of a normal display, the ability to print reports and test docs directly from the printer, and to achieve Permanet Storage Init..  However, as you can conclude, the printer simply does not want to stay up and running.  This, with a machine that has 80-90% of toner remaing in all cartridges, and had been in service for 6 of the 12 months of ownership.   I will note, if its informative,  that the printer performed quite nicely for the first 5  months of ownership with very light demands. Then it was idle and unplugged for five months.  Upon returning to use, I successfully printed a few documents on it during Oct.. Then, spontaneouslty and without warning, when a job was sent to the printer in Nov., it displayed the "fw corrupt" message. The failure occured 12.5 months after purchase and having printed maybe a few dozen documents.  Troubling indeed.

This is apparently no an uncommon problem.

Jeet_singh
Retired
Retired
Message 8 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @leBopper,

As I understand you have followed the steps suggested and still having the issue. I would personally suggest this could be an issue with the printer hardware. I would then suggest you to contact HP phone support to create a service for your printer. If the printer is out of warranty, you might be able to get some good upgrade options for the current printer.

HP Technical Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: http://h22207.www2.hp.com/us-en/?openCLC=true

(1) Once the support page opens please select the country in which you're located. Next, enter your HP model number on the right.

(2) Next, choose the 'Contact Support' tab at the top and scroll down to the bottom of the 'HP Support- Contact' page to fill out the form provided with your contact information.

(3) Once completed click the 'Show Options' icon on the bottom right.

(4) Lastly, scroll down to the bottom of the page and select 'Get the phone number.' A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

If you have any troubles, let me know and I will do my best to help!

Hope this helps, for any further queries reply to the post and feel free to join us again

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

leBopper
Author
Level 1
7 6 0 0
Message 9 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Essentially, you are acknowledging that the printer cannot be fixed.  Upgrade "options" are to be interpreted as replace the printer with another HP printer and roll the dice that it provides relaible service without failing after 40 printed pages.  Not a solution at all.  

When a customer gets burned, as I did in this case, it does little to establish confidence in the products sold.  If you, and I have, read about the frequency of this problem, then you would appreciate just how the suggestion to upgrade is received.   Apart from these printers being out of warrantee, HP should acknowledge the issue as a design/manufacturing flaw.  In so doing, they would bolster rather than destroy customer loyalty.  This is particularly true when a printer, whether 10 months old or 18  months old, fails because poor firmware or circuitry quality, when the mechanical components never even got a workput because a mere 40 pages have been printed.

The bottom ine is: This HP printer was designed, made and sold with disappointingly poor quality.  

Jeet_singh
Retired
Retired
Message 10 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @leBopper,

I have escalated your concern to HP’s Support Team in your region to have it reviewed for available options if any.

You should be contacted within 4 business days (Excluding Holidays & Weekends).

Response times may vary by region.

Please send a Private Message, if you aren’t contacted within 4-5 business days.

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation