Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
OfficeJet Pro 6978
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Firmware version MCP2CN2042CR, Built Date (sic) 2020-10-16, broke my HP6978 printer.  Actually, it no longer does anything since the aforementioned update.  Well, that's not exactly right, it does display an error message: "one or more cartridges are missing or damaged", and it does that really well!  Occasionally, it tells me to "install the cartridges that came with the printer".  Honestly, I'm afraid it's feeling will be hurt if it finds out I don't have the original ones anymore.  Oh, I almost forgot, I can also turn it on and off.

Nothing from HP about this, by the way.  No recognition from the company of any problems and nothing in the news.  I have noticed, however, a growing list of very, very irate HP printer owners in the "Community".

My printer is about a year and half old.  So now it appears no one at HP is prepared to help me since the original warranty has expired.  Well, what about the warranty on the brand spanking new firmware that HP pushed down to my innocent and unsuspecting printer a couple of weeks ago.  So far, HP acts like they just wish this problem will go away.  I believe it is, however, customary in the technology industry to acknowledge, then fix what you break.

So, if someone can help get my printer out of "firmware jail", maybe I can finally re-enroll it in Instant Ink!  It's too young for the dumpster behind the Goodwill Store out on the main road!

"Hello Mr. Hewlett... Mr. Packard,  y'all still in there?".  Well, I guess they've given-up on the current management meat-heads and gone back to the garage to dink around with amplifiers again!  (The youngsters won't have a clue what I'm referring to.)

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.