Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Officejet Pro 7740
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

As I was setting up a new HP computer, a firmware update was pushed to my Officejet 7740 printer. This update prevented it from printing with the refilled cartridges that had been functioning perfectly up until that time. Since it was my only wide-format printer and I needed it working, my only fix was to immediately purchase four new "genuine" HP cartridges at considerable expense.

If I remember correctly. These actions have been stopped in the EU as non-competitive and price-fixing. I own a lot of HP equipment in my design firm, but I think it's time for a change.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@JeffM46, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

I understand you are not able to use non-HP ink cartridges. 

Update the printer firmware- 

Download available firmware updates from the HP website 

With the printer on and connected to the computer, go to HP Customer Support - Software and Driver Downloads, and then identify your printer. Look for and install any available firmware updates. Refer to the document HP Printers - Updating or Upgrading Printer Firmware 

The third-party ink cartridges will work. But there are many cartridges in the market which is refilled and sometimes the chip is not configured to work with the printer. You need to contact the cartridge manufacturer and find out why it's not working. Try a different cartridge supplier and check if that works. 

I hope that answers your concern adequately. Let me know!  

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

This reply is not a solution. 

The problem was created by an update to the most recent firmware. As stated on the HP download page, this update allows Officejet 7740 printers manufactured before a certain date to use cartridges with other than "authentic" HP chips. Printers made after that date, such as mine, are still not allowed to use these cartridges. Period! 

My office printer was suddenly unusable which forced the purchase of four new HP cartridges when perfectly operable cartridges had been functioning without any problems.

If you have another explanation or if I am wrong in what I stated, please let me know.

HP Recommended

@JeffM46

I understand your concern. If the issue persists, please reach out to the HP Technical Support team in your region for further assistance via one on one interaction.

You may create a case on the website to obtain a case number if required. 

Keep me posted for any other assistance.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.