Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Officejet 5746
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

A few weeks ago Windows said I must upgrade to Win10 1903...so I did on a Friday.

That broke many things including audio, video (camera) and my HP 5746.

I got the printer to work with some upgrades or software or drivers...I don't remember.  Other things would not work and rollback (go back) timer was running out, so last week I rolled back to 1809.

So all the other things started working, but printer won't work.

HP provides tools to help with such things and I have used all that I could find multiple times.  I reinstalled from disk and from online software.  I uninstalled all I could.  I used Print and Scan doctor.  I used Troubleshooting HP printer Software installation tool.  I used HP Installation Failure - Unknown Device.

The printer has for a long time been connected to the router with Ethernet cable.  

The router can see the printer.  The HP software running on Win10 can see and identify the printer including IP address.

I am eager for help.  I am willing to keep working this.  Please help (I guess that sounds desperate:))

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @khervey

Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

Try these steps -

1. In the search box, type and open "Uninstall a Program".

2. Look for HP Printer software.

3. Right-click to uninstall.

4. In the search box, type and open “Devices and printers”.

5. In the Devices and Printers, look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose “Delete” or “Remove Device”.

6. Open the run command with the "Windows key + R" key combo. 

7. Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between “printui.exe” and “/s”).

8. Click on the "Drivers" tab.

9. Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click “Remove” at the bottom.

10. Select Ok.

11. Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows.

12. Close Devices and Printers Once the software and drivers are removed.

13. Restart the computer.

14. Download and install the software and drivers from here.

15. Click on the downloaded file and follow the on-screen instructions.  

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi @khervey

Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

Try these steps -

1. In the search box, type and open "Uninstall a Program".

2. Look for HP Printer software.

3. Right-click to uninstall.

4. In the search box, type and open “Devices and printers”.

5. In the Devices and Printers, look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose “Delete” or “Remove Device”.

6. Open the run command with the "Windows key + R" key combo. 

7. Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between “printui.exe” and “/s”).

8. Click on the "Drivers" tab.

9. Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click “Remove” at the bottom.

10. Select Ok.

11. Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows.

12. Close Devices and Printers Once the software and drivers are removed.

13. Restart the computer.

14. Download and install the software and drivers from here.

15. Click on the downloaded file and follow the on-screen instructions.  

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you.  I will try this as soon as I can.

I have already tried steps 1-5, so I am hoping the next steps will make the difference.

Thanks again.

HP Recommended

@khervey

Keep me posted. 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you.

Thank you so much.

Note that I had already done steps 1-6 many times as well as trying to delete drivers using device manager.

Your method is the first I saw that included printui.exe /s

Now, both scanning and printing work again.

I typed up notes and made lots of screenshots that I am happy to share if it would help you or others.  One thing I will copy in here:

Steps 1-3  I uninstalled all of these.  I realize this is more than "your HP printer", but I did not see my actual 5746 listed:

HP Officejet 5740 series Help 34.0.0

HP Support Assistant 8.8.24.33  (I clicked yes to keep settings)

HP Support Solutions Framework 12.12.32.3

HP Update 5.0005.002.002

HPDiagnosticCoreDll 1.0.15.0

IRIS OCR 12.3.4.0

Product Improvement Study…. 34.2.117.50647

Thanks again.

HP Recommended

@khervey

Happy to hear that your issue has been resolved. 

Have a great day! 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.