Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet 7740
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My problem is identical to this one: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printer-Setup-Software-Drivers/HP-OfficeJet-Pro-7740-Activation-Fails-...

I have already spent SEVEN HOURS trying to get this software to reinstall after a recent Windows Update (19041.630). I managed to get one other computer to still print but on my main laptop where I do all my work, the install fails. The printer is NOT completely installed, period. Only the fax installs which is useless. I am using wired Ethernet. I have tried:

• Uninstalling and reinstalling the bare-bones driver (2 times)
  • Uninstalling and reinstalling the full stack drive (5 times)
  • Following that miserable DLL diagnostic tool (HP Installation Failure - Unknown Device) all the way to the end with ZERO results.
  • Used HP Print and Scan doctor 6 times
  • Changing the IP address (3 times)
  • Changing from a static IP (which has worked for almost a year) to DHCP from my domain controller
  • Installing from the other computer with the printer shared on the network
  • Installing from Windows Printers (old control panel AND new Printers and Scanners). Printers and Scanners tells me that the driver is unavailable. Control Panel|Devices and Printers add printer function tells me the driver is not available.

HP Smart CAN SEE MY PRINTER on the network via Ethernet,  but all it tells me is that the driver is not installed. Of course not: it will not install.

I wasted a whole day I need to spend on other things. What is going on here? Why will the driver NOT INSTALL? How can I get just a plain driver to work?

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@Tooliedotter, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

HP Smart app only works on wireless connectivity.

Make sure the printer and the PC are connected to the same network.

Install the printer using the TCP/IP port:

1. On the PC, go to Control panel > Devices and printers > Add a printer(at the top) 
  2. Under 'Choose a device or printer', click on 'The printer I want isn't listed'.
  3. Select 'Add a printer using a TCP/IP address'
  4. Find the IP address of the printer by tapping on the wireless/ethernet icon on the printer screen
  5. Type in the 'IP address in Hostname or IP address' box, click next
  6. Proceed to the next steps by following the on-screen instructions.
  7. Try printing.

If the issue persists, Install the printer using Windows built-in driver

Refer to this document to know how. Try printing.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

You clearly did NOT read my entire post, or you would not have suggested these steps.

1. I have already tried to install using IP address, that gets me partway into the installation but it ALWAYS fails when it comes to activation. The software seems to try to activate on a website that no longer exists. The fax installs (which I do not need) but the printer never installs. I tried using the "continue later" hyperlink to activate -- did that twice, but that still does NOT install the printer, period.
  2. The HP Smart software absolutely DOES work with Wired Ethernet -- that's the only way I have ever used it, and until your software stopped working on my primary machine, I was able to use HP Smart from any of my 3 Windows 10 machines.
  3. I can still print from 2 of the 3 Windows 10 machines, but not my primary machine where I spend 98% of my time. The Windows versions are as follows:
    • Primary: 10.0.19042 Build 19042 (CANNOT print)
    • Secondary: 10.0.19041 Build 19041 (can print)
    • Contract: 10.0.18362 Build 18362 (can print)
  4. Installing using the Windows print driver: Why? I made zero changes to my printer which WAS working and has worked for the last year until I updated to Build 19042.

If you had a standalone HP driver I could easily update it, but you've bound yourself to this software sequence that doesn't allow advanced users like myself to intervene and just install the driver at the point where the software fails (activation).

So what's next? I cannot function without my printer and so far you're not offering an actual solution. Thoughts?

HP Recommended

@Tooliedotter

These are the only ways to install the printer on a Win 10 PC.

HP Smart app, Windows built-in driver, HP full-feature driver, or using the IP address of the printer.

I think this issue needs some additional technical assistance that can be better provided through one-on-one interaction or a remote session with our HP Support team.

Please reach out to the HP Technical Support team in your region for further assistance. 

Keep me posted for any other assistance.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Again, you are not listening. This printer has been functioning just fine for just over a year and I set it up solely on Ethernet. Furthermore, I have 3 other computers that CAN print to this printer as it is right now connected solely by Ethernet.

I will take your suggestion to contact a local HP tech support person, but your answers are unsatisfactory and appear to be uninformed.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.