Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP DeskJet 2755
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am trying to set up my new HP DeskJet 2755 printer.

1. When I tried to set it up with the cable, my computer would detect the printer through the cable but HP smart wouldn't.

2. When I tried to set it up wirelessly (my preference), I got to the Printer Setup stage of "Conecting printer to Wi-Fi..." several times, I get to the stage where it asks me to press the "i" on the printer to locate its proximity, and then after HP smart stays on "Sending network information" for a few minutes it says "there was an unexpected error and we can't complete setup now".  (see the attached pics for reference)

I have followed all of the steps with downloading HP Smart, putting the printer back in "setup mode", and troubleshooting that HP is offering online.

Any tips? I'm getting close to just returning the printer.

Thanks in advance,

Maggie

IMG_5819.jpgIMG_5820.jpg

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

Some additional info.

Since posting this I have downloaded "HP Easy Start" which prompted me to plug the printer into the computer for initial setup, it did detect my printer but then while saving wi-fi settings to my printer suddenly lost my printer and was "searching for printers" then eventually took me to a Network Setup - issue unknown screen.

Then I ran "HP Print and Scan Doctor" which was able to detect my printer via cord again, but then took me to a page where I had to enter my printer's username (defaulted to admin and I couldnt change it) and password ... I dont have a password??

I gave up trying to set up wireless at this point and tried printing since it said the printer is connected and installed to my computer via cord, but then I got a print error notice when I attempted to print. 

What is happening?????

HP Recommended

Having exact same issue; same errors. No book. No help online. Hoping someone will know what to do. 

HP Recommended

@vimaggie,@LSMeseke Welcome to the HP Support Community!

HP Smart is not compatible with a USB cable. It has to be wireless.

If you are using a USB cable, you will have to download the full-feature printer app from here

• Make sure the printer and the PC are connected to the same wireless network.
  • Either a 2.4GHz network or a 5GHz network.
  • If you have a Dual-band router and both 2.4GHz and 5GHz networks share the same name/SSID, the printer will not be able to connect to the network. In this case, contact your Internet service provider to assign different names to both the networks.

Alternatively, you may use the WPS method to connect the printer to the network as shown in this document. 

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Did you get any response? Or were you able to connect at all? I got my printer today 12/23/2020 and I am having exactly the same issue.

HP Recommended

I haven’t tried Kumar’s suggestion above yet but that’s my plan once I have some time. I think that’s my issue, try that! 

HP Recommended

@vimaggie, @KinshukDutta

Kindly try the steps provided and let me know how it goes.

Keep me posted.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for this, Kumar.  I finally got around to taking some time today to try this again.  In the meantime I have been using the printer via USB (I cant remember how I ended up getting that method to work) so I have just been using the printer that way until I can sort out wireless setup.

I do have a dual router, and both SSIDs were the same so today I changed one of them.  This still didn't solve the problem.  Today I also tried connecting via the WPS route, as well as the mobile device method, and neither of those worked either.

I don't know what else it could be?? Any more avenues I can go down?

Thanks again

Maggie

HP Recommended

@vimaggie

That's unfortunate. In this case, kindly follow the steps mentioned in - Changing from a USB to a Wireless Connection

Make sure MAC filtering is not enabled on your router. If enabled, you will have to list the printer in the 'allowed list'.

Let me know how it goes.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi there,

I watched the videos and started the steps. Right away ran into issues.

- When I search for my printer it doesn't appear (on my start menu/search toolbar).  So I googled what the video told me would come up when I clicked my printer (HP Printer Assistant) and downloaded HP Support Assistant as this it appears this is the closest available named option.  I added my printer through that app and got a notice that an important update was needed. I clicked to download the update and after trying was notified that the update could not be downloaded.

-I was then prompted to download HP Easy Start instead as it is a more up to date app than HP Support Assistant. I have downloaded this before.  I downloaded it again and was prompted to try to connect my printer. I tried wireless as before, still didn't work, so I have again added it to HP Easy Start with USB.  Once HP Easy Start was all up and running, it just automatically took me right back to HP Smart which I have been using all along.

So now I am all set up on HP Smart and HP Support Assistant. I don't see the options to change from USB to wireless in these apps as the video shows in HP Printer Assistant. Can you direct me from here?

Thank you!

Maggie

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.